gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tried oven pride - should it be covered in black crap that's an arse to remove
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tried oven pride - should it be covered in black crap that's an arse to remove  (Read 917 times)

mark j

Like I said, did a bag full of chainrings, a difficult black layer is left. Used nearly the full bottle, they were well covered but is 20 chainrings too much in one go. Tried using a scourer, kinda works, sanding works better but too many difficult areas on a chainring. Got bored of it all. Might return to deadly caustic......Tips?
Yakky da boy bach. :daumenhoch:

duncan

I had a black aluminium seatpost to strip - nitromors didn't touch it and neither did oven pride.
I don't know if it had some other outer coating, or if the aluminium was actually dyed black somehow.

I sanded the post a bit then tried ovenpride again and it seemed to work better this time, as if I'd removed a protective layer.
Still had to use wet & dry to finish off the post, I can imagine that it would be trickier with a chainring though.

selfpreservation

ive used caustic and its been covered in black stuff as if it was in a fire autsol took it  off though   did you get my chainring in time mark

mark j

Hi Ciaran, I did. I'm trying to learn a bit about polishing myself (not "polishing myself") but until I get to grips with it properly I'll be leaving it to the bigger boys. I'll be taking it in today when I get the crap off my chainrings........

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
causic leaves a black sludge as well on some alu sorts. it varies from product to product. When I take em out(with my CHEMICAL RESISTANT gloves((important to have the right gloves))) i dip things first in a bowl of vinegar to nutralise the caustic(alkalai dipped in acid) then straight in the kitchen sink with hot water and a mix or three things, scourer, wire wool, and patience. The layer usually comes easily off allthough some places can be hard. When it hit's the buffing wheel it's not an issue.
ding dong

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Like I said, did a bag full of chainrings, a difficult black layer is left. Used nearly the full bottle, they were well covered but is 20 chainrings too much in one go. Tried using a scourer, kinda works, sanding works better but too many difficult areas on a chainring. Got bored of it all. Might return to deadly caustic......Tips?
Yakky da boy bach. :daumenhoch:

I had no problems with my stem in Oven Pride.......could it be that all the different colours you had in the bag had a chemical reaction? leaving black shyte over your stuff?  I only did a stem and the bits were all red, they came up a treat!  :daumenhoch:

selfpreservation

i think some types of alloy leave the burnt stuff and some types dont depending on the metal mix

selfpreservation

cheers mate im glad i caught you in time WO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!! ive tried polishing chainrings by hand and theyre so hard it takes forever and didnt get very good results polished other stuff , stems and skyway hubs these are softer and came up great

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tried oven pride - should it be covered in black crap that's an arse to remove

gfxgfx
gfx gfx