gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 24, 2024, 02:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  my early 90s gold mine, the local concil tip metal skip!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: my early 90s gold mine, the local concil tip metal skip!!!  (Read 776 times)

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • dragos says always wear a helmet
  • Rated:
back in the early 90s we used to sneak into the local tip, then head straight for the huge metal skip and go hunting!!! the stuff we used to pull out would make your head pop, mongoose/scorpion/ammaco/redline/hutch..ect and burners go lour :shocked: being that bmx was long dead and these bikes had been sat dormant for years, they were just cleared out of sheds/garages and dumped :D not to mention odd parts like wheels/bars/forks/seats...ect, which would be found weekly but good complete bikes maybe one or two a month :daumenhoch:
me and my riding mates shared/swapped the bits between the four of us, which meant we ended up with some really good bikes for free! they were always kind of rough and ready but we rode them to death, funny how now a days they would end up as refurbed and shinny expensive show bikes! if I only had a DORLORIAN and crazy professor as a friend id be rich..... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: my early 90s gold mine, the local concil tip metal skip!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Wouldn't we all mate.....
It is still worth hunting round the tips, most of them have some sort of charity shop there which flogs the decent stuff...still for fook all. My mate has had a few decent finds. People still turn up the odd old school find in skips etc, a lot fewer and far between now...
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

griff

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:09 PM »

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:11 PM »
all the council tips around leeds now have huge metal fences and lots cctv, bitd there was just a crappy wire fence with lots of holes in :( anyhow it was just a case of the right time and place so we grabbed it, but as you say cash converter type shops sometime have 90s bikes! usually only low end haros- gt/dynos- mongooses..ect, nothing that good really but fodder for a cheap project 8) 8) 8) 8)

loving vic and bob sketch..;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:17 PM by poorboyee »

griff

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:08 PM »
Is it Giro day?  :teef:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 07:29 PM »
yeah the days of finding lots of old bmx`s are long gone , i used to find a burner a week and to be honest ,struggled to get rid of them . The tips have people in the know now that drag anything decent out nowsdays and so many people are checking them  .
I used to find so much stuff back in the early 2000 that i used to leave certain stuff as was worthless but now it`s all changed but hey it was fun and most of my collection came back then so happy as would never be able to buy it now
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:16 PM »
skyway mags seemed to be a regular find in various states of usability and colours, mostly with crushed hubs or cracked bearing seats so they ran like shit :( plus a nasty clink-n-crunch when going fast or down hill, if you were really un-lucky they sometimes seized up explosion
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:18 PM by poorboyee »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:33 AM »

Made me chuckle this morning Griff  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  my early 90s gold mine, the local concil tip metal skip!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx