gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Odyssey Evo 2
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Odyssey Evo 2  (Read 980 times)

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Odyssey Evo 2
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can please tell me if I've wasted my time and money please!?

Last Friday, I bought an Odyssey Evo II to put on the rear of my Colony Endeavour 2016 model. Simple I thought, lol! So I bought the frame mounts too and set to work. All was well until I came to mount the caliper to the frame!!!

I was in the process of tightening the lugs to the frame and when the screw thread that has the blue dye in (not sure what that is exactly, I'm guessing a type of epoxy resin!?)  I REALLY struggled to tighten them all the way in as they are rounded to begin with and thought, I'll tighten it up properly once I've put the brake assembly together and the caliper is on the frame!

So in tightening the bolt, I managed to slip with the Allen key and therefore screwed up the hex key bolts edges that tightens the spring! So I've managed to get the lug off the frame and as I'd only done one side, have now got a brake less bike!?

Thing is, I don't want a brakeless bike, I want to fit the brake, trouble is, as the lug is still attached to one of the calipers and just turns, again it's rounded and difficult to hold, is getting the hex bolt out possible, as I don't fancy buying a complete new brake assembly next pay day lol!

Was just curious as to whether any of you much more experienced guys could offer a solution please!?

Thanks very much in advance!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Odyssey Evo 2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16 PM »
The blue dye you're on about is thread lock to stop the mounts coming loose  :daumenhoch: can you put some pics up as there's a few different types of brake mounts out there & I'm not 100% on what ones Colony use!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Hi Fugazi,

Tried to upload pic, doesn't seem to work?!

I you could please Google Colony Brake Mounts their quite big with spacers!

Many thanks!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:56 PM »
If they're the type I'm thinking of, if you look down the end of the mount there's a 3 or 4mm broach for an allen key so you can tighten the mounts up then install the brake, don't overtighten the countersunk brake bolt, just nip it up enough to stop the spring caps moving.

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Hi,

Just double checked and there's a screwdriver slot at the end that screws in to the frame mounting holes themselves. So I've got 2 x Evo brake caliper arms that have frame mounts being held in place by the spring clip hex bolt, and as the hex bolt is in on both arms, down to the blue material, the whole thing spins through the arms themselves!?

The only way I can see to rectify this is to clamp the protruding part of the hex bolts and to pray that a screwdriver in the opposite end will be sufficient!?

Otherwise, I've been a very silly boy!?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Have you looked down the end of the mount where the brake bolt threads in?

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Hey Fugazi,

Many thanks but I've managed using brute force, to separate the caliper hex bolt from the brake mounts! This has of course messed up the bolts and certainly one of the brake mounts too!

My main concern was separating everything and ensuring I'd not ruined a perfectly good brake!

So I'll try with an Odyssey mounting kit and new mounts!

Many thanks!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 07:52 PM »
No problem  :daumenhoch: when you get the new parts try & get a pic or two up so we can see what's what, can be a nightmare trying to give advice on text alone!
As for removable mounts this is why I try to only buy a frame if they have welded mounts!

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Hi Fugazi,

Many thanks for the help you've given! I'll try and get pics on here when I get new frame mounts and a replacement Odyssey brake kit!

I think the issue was, as soon as the brakes hex bolt hit the blue loctite material going into the brake mounting bolt, I found it stupidly hard to tighten said hex bolt sufficiently for it then to engage the brake lever spring, if that makes any sense!?

This then lead to my Allen keys and the hex bolt edges rubbing off which in turn, lead to the insane amount of force needed to separate the whole ensemble!?

I'll invest in some quality Allen keys too, but I have to say it could have been cross threaded or the Odyssey hex bolts quality is not the best!?

Thanks again, crisis averted and brake rescued!

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:35 AM »

Sounds like it bottomed out on the threads

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 08:37 AM »

Good shout there, I've had to shorten Odyssey brake bolts to use in removable mounts before thinking about it!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Yeah, my thoughts too Pete. The blue locktite on the threads shouldn't make it so tight that you can't install the bolts and strip the hex socket, cheap allen keys or not :-[

Like Fugazi said, try and get some pics up before you re-install it and we'll have a look :coolsmiley:

Still limping......

Offline OllyHall

• Flip-Whip
  • Dannywhac is a fooking hippy!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 12:35 PM »
If you on about the actual bolt that holds the brake on then it might need cutting down, I've had to do this before
Mid school baby!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Odyssey Evo 2

gfxgfx
gfx gfx