gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Fitting wheel hubs to frames and forks question?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fitting wheel hubs to frames and forks question?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Fitting wheel hubs to frames and forks question?
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:09 PM »

When fitting the wheel hubs to frames and forks do members place the washers on the inside and nuts on the outside or both outside?  :-\
If fitting washers on the outside do you then place an extra spacer washer on the freewheel side?  :-\

Was looking at fitting a set of wheels to a frame and fork tonight and thought oh! do they go inside or outside.  :-\ I've done it many times but can't think what I did!  :-[

Thanks in advance.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Fitting wheel hubs to frames and forks question?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Washers always outside Neil as the idea of the washer is that it shouldn't turn when you tighten the nut, hence minimising the damage to the finish on the frame be it chrome or paint  :daumenhoch:

Usually worth chucking a spare washer inside the frame on the freewheel side jus to give an extra mm clearance mind. You don't have any of these hassles with newschool as everything is made to fit, just oldschool  :-\
Still limping......

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Thanks for confirming this  :daumenhoch:

Just curious as sure I seen some builds with washers on inside to stop the dropouts being pulled in.

Washers always outside Neil as the idea of the washer is that it shouldn't turn when you tighten the nut, hence minimising the damage to the finish on the frame be it chrome or paint  :daumenhoch:

Usually worth chucking a spare washer inside the frame on the freewheel side jus to give an extra mm clearance mind. You don't have any of these hassles with newschool as everything is made to fit, just oldschool  :-\

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:40 PM »
"Just curious as sure I seen some builds with washers on inside to stop the dropouts being pulled in."

...for that very reason I have washers on the inside of my bike too.  :daumenhoch:  (one at the freewheel side and two at the other - in my case).
It also seemed like as it made it a bit easier for me to center the rear wheel more precisely. But I don't have any washers at the inside of the forks.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Thanks, the wheels are for a rider so want to get it right  :daumenhoch:

"Just curious as sure I seen some builds with washers on inside to stop the dropouts being pulled in."

...for that very reason I have washers on the inside of my bike too.  :daumenhoch:  (one at the freewheel side and two at the other - in my case).
It also seemed like as it made it a bit easier for me to center the rear wheel more precisely. But I don't have any washers at the inside of the forks.

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Thanks, the wheels are for a rider so want to get it right  :daumenhoch:

When I once got my bike back from a mechanic, it was the other way around. Two washers at the freewhell side - which gave it more clearance towards the dropouts inside as he pointed out, but the bike didn't roll straight.

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:20 PM »
I always fit washers on the outside of the dropouts, and also on the inside when space allows, to give a bit of extra clearance to the hubs and tires to the chainstays. Same with my forks. The number of washers each side depends on the hub/freewheel set up and freewheel/chainring/chain alignment. The back end on my gjs freestyler is tighter than cher lloyds arse, so no room for washers on the inside. I'll probably never ride it though, so it doesn't really matter
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:22 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12 PM »

Thanks chaps. Nice to get advice and opinions. :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Fitting wheel hubs to frames and forks question?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx