gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 01:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  MIRAGE 401'S....ANYONE TEMPTED??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MIRAGE 401'S....ANYONE TEMPTED??  (Read 2937 times)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
MIRAGE 401'S....ANYONE TEMPTED??
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Just seen the Mirage 401 copies Alan's is doing....Fook me they don't look too bad!! Anyone got any yet? anyone tempted?
I don't think I could but bloody hell they look good!! I reckon he will sell hundreds of these!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirage-Single-Pinch-Three-Piece-Crank-Old-School-BMX-Redline-Flight-401-/262723379802?var=&hash=item3d2b88a25a:m:mV7SVp5kIdP-Mibzp5kwtrw
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:13 PM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: MIRAGE 401'S....ANYONE TEMPTED??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Not tempted but they do look nice.  :)
I'll bet they'll be a few sets getting stickered up as Flights. ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Very nice if you don't mind going down the repro route

Bit hard for Alan to say to Redline he's not copying their design though when it says 'Redline Flight 401' in the ebay title, I imagine he's looked into the legal side of things but can see them causing a bit of trouble if he's not careful

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:43 PM »
I was tempted while they were in early production, even posted on the website asking when they would be ready. This was when I was building my GT Pro.
In the meantime I bought a set of 'new' twin pinch flights, brand new, for less. I think the twin pinch redlines are more honest (to coin a phrase from building conservation).
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Oh my. They are shiny........

They'd look fantastic on a retro build......

"What?" I hear you say...... "like a Retrogoose?"

:popcorn:     :2funny:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:21 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:10 PM »
I think they look good (better than the twin pinches IMO) .... I'd have to say I'd only get a set if funds became an issue .... Great for a retro project though.  8)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18 PM »
No for me, not as good as twin pinch for riding, not show bike material, so why?

Twin pinch Redlines are basically an old school crank, they look like an old school crank ,they haven't changed much over the years ,why ride around using a crank that's not as good for riding?

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37 PM »
The Redlines are clearly new production, like Dia Compe reproduction if you want an extreme. You could never pass off a repop Dia Compe caliper as an original, it is designeed to be that way despite being og manufacturer title.

The Mirage cranks are pure copy, nothing else. Yes, I have no doubt that they look fabulous. Change the decals and you could possibly fool yourself after a few. I see threads that criticise Pork Chop for commissioning repop copy parts on many forums, Alan's are just in the same market and following the same business model. I mean no criticism of Alan's or Pork Chop, it is business reality I am sure. I just wanted to highlight the difference between a 'repair' and an 'honest repair'.

Pah, buy what you want and build what you want! It is your ride. I just responded to a popcorn comment is all.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Just how much stuff is he reproducing? there's quite a lot already  ???  what else is planned?

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:53 PM »
it says don`t tighten up the spindle pinch bolt up too much , problem is if you ride heavy then they wont last five minutes 
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:33 PM »
it says don`t tighten up the spindle pinch bolt up too much , problem is if you ride heavy then they wont last five minutes

That doesn't sound great  ::)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 12:23 PM »
That warning was an addition because the 1st few sets didn't go over the top with explaining this importance when fitting them. Someone tightened the pinch bolts before the spindle bolt thinking it was those that held the arm on and snapped one. If you do it in the wrong order and over tighten the pinch before the spindle the same thing can happen with the original redline flights. The warning is pointing out that it's actually the spindle bolt that holds the arm on and the not too much part also mentions the recommended torque for tightening the pinch bolts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:26 PM by Glynnyboy »

Offline OllyHall

• Flip-Whip
  • Dannywhac is a fooking hippy!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 01:46 PM »
I think repop stuff is great! not everyone can afford £350-400 for og and twin pinch on an old school build look shit!
Mid school baby!!

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I'm definitely going to buy a couple of sets. Spotted them at MK 16. Got original flites in mint condition, but can't afford originals on all my bikes, hence these are wicked!!!! explosion
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  MIRAGE 401'S....ANYONE TEMPTED??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx