gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 05:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  SPACE (Developments) the final frontier
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SPACE (Developments) the final frontier  (Read 2662 times)

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
SPACE (Developments) the final frontier
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:45 PM »
Well thanks to deeman for the lay back seat post my Space Developments collection is complete.

2 sets of bars and both styles of seat post. The straight post coming from Melanie Vauvelle who got it from Terry Jenkins back in the day.

griff

Re: SPACE (Developments) the final frontier
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Very nice  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Love them bars.  :coolsmiley:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Awesome collection ... great to see some real BMX history .. I love things that are the real deal and have proper BMX Provenance!  :smitten: :4_17_5:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Bit greedy to have two sets of bars,surely you only need one each of said items lol  ;)  :daumenhoch:

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Bit greedy to have two sets of bars,surely you only need one each of said items lol  ;)  :daumenhoch:

Not so much greed than that my OCDs couldn't live with having more Action Zone bars than Space

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Always fancied a set of those bars. Love the story with their development  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 10:31 PM »
For some reason I believe these were made by Anlen., I think Bob was involved. Great bars.

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 02:02 AM »
For some reason I believe these were made by Anlen., I think Bob was involved. Great bars.

Hi Dom,

I chatted briefly with TJ over email about the manufacturing and it sounded that Haro/Anlen did assist him in some way. But it read like it was with the second Gen Space bars that never got released.

From TJ:
"Less than 200 made.

There was only one design produced. The design itself came as a result of me breaking/cracking other bars. I am not a engineer but realized that bending the tube during manufacture thinned the wall.

Space bars utilized two smaller bends as opposed to one single radius bend. The cross bar was welded on top of one bend, essentially eliminating it as a weak spot. I did develop a second gen design. Haro did provide manufacturing, the bar was made but not to my design. Production stopped as a result.

The Foam...this was very high density expandable urethane with the intension of further reducing handle bar flex and increasing strength. Industrial, government regulated stuff. Highly difficult to work with due to the pressures and heat generated. Started as two liquids that mix with a gun. Managed to do several bars and seat posts. Too expensive and difficult however. A friend had the seat post with foam. Still straight after countless years and numerous broken bikes."

And this:
I was tempted a several years back to make a few of the GenII Space Bars I designed that never made it to market. There was a production error a the factory where the GenII bars were being made as the Haro/Space Bars exclusive for the UK market. A huge disappointment as you can imagine

Wonder what gen2 looked like...

Although that being said Terry did market them as Haro 'Space' F/S bars.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:08 AM by tfi_friday »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Great bit of history Alan....I wonder what the gen 2 looked like?  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Great bit of history Alan....I wonder what the gen 2 looked like?  :daumenhoch:

Must fire off an email again to ask Terry

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Nice bit of research.. I think I saw a tech drawing on my travels of the design with an Anlen drawing stamp.

Hi Dom,

I chatted briefly with TJ over email about the manufacturing and it sounded that Haro/Anlen did assist him in some way. But it read like it was with the second Gen Space bars that never got released.

From TJ:
"Less than 200 made.

There was only one design produced. The design itself came as a result of me breaking/cracking other bars. I am not a engineer but realized that bending the tube during manufacture thinned the wall.

Space bars utilized two smaller bends as opposed to one single radius bend. The cross bar was welded on top of one bend, essentially eliminating it as a weak spot. I did develop a second gen design. Haro did provide manufacturing, the bar was made but not to my design. Production stopped as a result.

The Foam...this was very high density expandable urethane with the intension of further reducing handle bar flex and increasing strength. Industrial, government regulated stuff. Highly difficult to work with due to the pressures and heat generated. Started as two liquids that mix with a gun. Managed to do several bars and seat posts. Too expensive and difficult however. A friend had the seat post with foam. Still straight after countless years and numerous broken bikes."

And this:
I was tempted a several years back to make a few of the GenII Space Bars I designed that never made it to market. There was a production error a the factory where the GenII bars were being made as the Haro/Space Bars exclusive for the UK market. A huge disappointment as you can imagine

Wonder what gen2 looked like...

Although that being said Terry did market them as Haro 'Space' F/S bars.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  SPACE (Developments) the final frontier

gfxgfx
gfx gfx