gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 12:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Skyway Graphite`s with Silver Flanges
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Graphite`s with Silver Flanges  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
Skyway Graphite`s with Silver Flanges
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Gutted I missed these..
Skyway Graphite Wheel set with Silver Flanges
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-School-Bmx-Skyway-Graphite-Wheel-set-Silver-Flanges-NOS-PK-Wheels-/262737828369?hash=item3d2c651a11%3Ag%3At%7EcAAOSw5cNYOzpP&nma=true&si=YkF9c3Nc8k1Yd8vt1xvCJCDS1zc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#viTabs_0

Being looking for a set to fit on my torker sport build to replace the set with gold hubs.
Did they ever make a set like these for the general market or was they only for the haro team.
He had them listed for builds from 1984 to 1988 but looking at the date codes they look newer..
Are these gen 3 ?
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline workshyfop

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway Graphite`s with Silver Flanges
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12 PM »
how has one of them got sealed bearings, but the other looks to be a looseball.

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:19 PM »
I noticed that too mate.
Someone did ask about that and said matching set but they date codes are different colours .
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline workshyfop

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:47 PM »
thought sealed ones didn't appear until 2005 \ 2006 ish....going by the regular tuffs.

were graphites sealed bearing earlier than this, although i wouldn't have thought you would have a pair of wheels where one was sealed but the other loose ball.

and then theres the dates on them....

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:23 PM »
ok, the little I know:

Gen 1's, campy axles and bearings, very square 'star shape' ran from 80 - 81/82 ish

http://bmxmuseum.com/reference/1230

Gen 2's, campy axles and bearings, more conventional rounded style star shape hub', ran from 81/82 - 83/84 ish

http://bmxmuseum.com/reference/2736

Gen 3, same hubs as Gen 2's but with sealed bearings, ran from 83/84'ish until some time later, at least 86

I may be slightly out on transition dates, I'm definitely no expert, but that's roughly right.

The ones in that ad are definitely not an unmolested matching pair. May be someones mucked about with the loose ball one, it's not a std campy axle etc but more of a conventional loose ball and dust shield setup. Campy dust seals are chrome and more doomed in shape (see the second picture in the gen 2 link). May be someone far more knowledgable than I will be along soon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:25 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Those are newer tuffs in the listing, not old.not even sure they are graphite, Skyway can tell you from the coding on the inside.

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies but..
Did they actually sell silver hub graphites skyways with campy hubs or again was it only for the team members.
I have looked for a set but no joy :tumbleweed:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies but..
Did they actually sell silver hub graphites skyways with campy hubs or again was it only for the team members.
I have looked for a set but no joy :tumbleweed:

Not as far as I can remember, they sold the silver, non-anodised Graphite hubs separately for years as they had boxes and boxes of them though.  Back in the day they did do some limited editions of coloured hubs as I remember that we had some at Heff's and I turned a set down at the time of white with blue hubs, I think they were supposed to be for factory riders and/or high sales customers iirc but it was a long time ago! 

They could be replacement hubs on genuine graphites if the owner had two fronts or had a hub collapse on the rear as they were prone to this.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Cheers Mr C   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Skyway Graphite`s with Silver Flanges

gfxgfx
gfx gfx