gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome or paint
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrome or paint  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
Chrome or paint
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I know this question must come up all the time, but I'm new to this restoration game.

I've bought an 85 green master (yawn) and want to either get it chrome plated or paint it white.

What should I except to pay for the above? I've seen a guy mention £30 in leeds for painted f&f.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for a  hampshire based painter? or chrome plater?

Is it usually the case that you strip the frame back yourself? whats the best method to do this?

Thanks
Mark

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Chrome or paint
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:36 PM »
If Bournemouth/Poole is'nt a million miles from you then you've got an awesome chromer there , South West or South Chrome (something like that ! ) . Perhaps someone else can help with details & knows the one I mean ? .  :daumenhoch:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 03:05 PM »
I'd go for chrome on that, as there aren't many around...but that can be expensive! Not sure who is the best person to offer chroming in your area - hit the yellow pages and I suspect you'll find someone.

:daumenhoch:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Chrome's gonna cost a lot more than paint !?  ???

A good Chromer charges about £150 to 200 don't they ?

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Can't beat chrome, in my opinion  :)   ...but I'm biased.  If you decide to paint it, I'm personally quite fond of colours like, for example, a metallic candy apple red  ::)

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:46 PM »

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Thanks to everyone who posted responses. I've more or less decided to go the chrome route, just because of its rarity compared to green/white. Also I intend to ride it a bit (at least until me back gives out) and chrome is harder wearing.
I've found a company in southampton who will do the work, approx £100. I'll let you know if its any good after its complete.
I guess my next dilema will be what colour tuffs?!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Good choice dude. £100 is cheap...let us know how it comes out.

With regards to tuffs, I think black is the best colour for Haros (IMO) - and it means you can buy new ones off the shelf, which will be better for riding.

Sweet

:daumenhoch:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 12:59 PM »
I believe the best chromers, will plate a frame: Copper, Nickel and then Chrome on top to get the best effect, this is the more expensive option, it'd be interesteing the hear what process they go through?
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Havin't taken the f&f down to them yet, so the price is only the fella's guess over the phone!

He briefly told me about the process, which was sand blasting, electro plating then polishing.
the polishing stage apparently is what costs the money.

I biggest concern was the sandblasting though, don't want to lose the welds and haro stamps.

Black skyways sounds like a plan to, Can you still get them new fitted with a coaster?

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Havin't taken the f&f down to them yet, so the price is only the fella's guess over the phone!

He briefly told me about the process, which was sand blasting, electro plating then polishing.
the polishing stage apparently is what costs the money.

I biggest concern was the sandblasting though, don't want to lose the welds and haro stamps.

Black skyways sounds like a plan to, Can you still get them new fitted with a coaster?

I had my trickstar 'media blasted' which I believe is the same process, it did not harm the welds or anything, looks superb after the powder went on. The blasting should remove stickers, rust, paint etc, but should not damage anything else  :)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome or paint

gfxgfx
gfx gfx