gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Treating some flaking paint
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Treating some flaking paint  (Read 601 times)

othomas2

Treating some flaking paint
« on: September 06, 2006, 11:47 PM »
I want to stop some flaking paint.

it's a survivor & the damage is situated under the BB. The paint that is there seems fairly secure... but for stopping water or whatever gettin in and causing further damage.

Any ideas ?

dj_benice

Re: Treating some flaking paint
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:06 AM »
coat of clear lacquer maybe? prettier than waxoyl ;D

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:53 AM »
yea either clear laquer owen or a touch up in paint , either will be OK, assume its white ? so not hard to colour match

Rich

othomas2

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:44 PM »
I'm not sure I want to use any paint as I'd like to leave the frame free of touch ups. A full survivor. I'd not know where to stop and end up doing a full resto.

Would brush on-clear varnish be o.k. ? //// or do you think lacquer (spray)would be best ?

Also, How do you think I should go about it ? Do I mask it off with a slight overlap onto the paint work ?

Also the paintwork has a gloss finish... do I go for gloss, matt, or satin ? bearing in mind I don't want to draw attention to it. i.e. bare metal.

Help is appreciated.  ;)

thanks
Owen
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:47 PM by othomas2 »

dj_benice

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:03 AM »
yup mask it up a bit into paint, would go for a spray on matt lacquer meself, if unsure try n be cheeky get some samples  and have a go on an old bit of metal :) or take your metal in to b & q n give a cheeky spray or three see which looks best

othomas2

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Cheers mate... that's what I was thinking too.  ;)

Will get that purchased today.

O

duncan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 12:36 AM »
I've lacquered a few parts for a bike using two different lacquers, and got very different results.

First up was a stem, given several coats of Plasticote lacquer.
It looked great for a couple of days then the whole surface crazed.
A couple of weeks later and the laquer has so many tiny cracks in it that the surface looks white in places.

I don't think it's due to heat/cold expansion/shrinkage, I'm thinking maybe the surface area of the stem was too small and with time the lacquer has dried out and contracted too much.
I'd polished the stem with Autosol beforehand - maybe there was some chemical reaction with the lacquer causing the cracks?

Secondly I gave a set of forks several coats of Simonez Acrylic lacquer - no problems here, it's still perfect after a few weeks.
Lesson learned, I'll have to strip the stem and start again.
This lacquer makes the bare metal underneath look darker, not sure if it would have any shade effect over paintwork.
I saw Cellulose lacquer and petrol-resistant lacquer too in the shop, it was confusing guessing which type to get.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Treating some flaking paint

gfxgfx
gfx gfx