gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 01:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repop tyre quandary
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Repop tyre quandary  (Read 2877 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Repop tyre quandary
« on: October 20, 2016, 03:47 PM »
Alright all,

Just been sat here thinking this over, as I have recently been looking at building 3 longer frames for me to actually be able to comfortably ride. One is finished, but I still have a Pro and a Cruiser to complete.

The finished one is my WHEELS Pro, which as many of you know I used for the London to Brighton charity bike ride.

I fully intended using the pair of super-rare skinny Carlisle Aggressor tyres I had, before I pumped them up and they failed on the second day. Ruined. I have already posted pictures of this on my WHEELS thread. In the end I opted to fit brand new, modern skinny road tyres for that ride, as I wasn't too bothered how the bike looked, and even then I still had 3(!) punctures en route. Had the Aggressors survived to the start of that ride I am now seriously doubting they would have lasted until the end.

My question is this.... Should I be considering brand new repop tyres for these builds as I fully intend using them as rider bikes when complete? I am not too sure it would be wise for me to spend billions on OG era-correct tyres only for them to potentially fail on me on the road. I'm not going to be doing anything too out there on the bikes, just use them regularly.

Have any of you gone through the same thought process, and if so what suitable repop tyres are available at the minute (all are '83-'84)? I am not really a repop guy at all I have to say, but this seems to make a lot of sense.
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline Tel-boy75

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Repop tyre quandary
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 03:54 PM »
I use the reissue Tioga Comp III on all of my bikes. No problem riding around on them and they look right. My bikes are all race bikes though, no idea what reissue tyres are out there for freestyle.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Jono - Comp Pools.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:57 PM »
I'm using Kenda K-Rad tyres on my cruiser. Look OK (Skinwall) and ride perfectly on the road. I'd buy them again. Also Tioga re-pop the Comp 3 which looks pretty good.
Gertcha!

griff

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:08 PM »
just out of interest Martin - what PSI were you running on them?

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Try to avoid riding the bikes with skinnies... they're a fooker for getting punctures. Sick of fooking repairing em on my boy's Elf. Only need to look at it and it gets a flat.  :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:28 PM »
just out of interest Martin - what PSI were you running on them?

Are you talking about the Aggressors? If so the answer is I am not sure, as I only pumped them up to keep them up whilst I was going away so they weren't sat flat on the bike for 5 weeks and risk creasing the sidewalls. They were probably at about 3/4 of what I would call 'the old school pinch test' pressure. Not hard anyway. I think they got very warm above my garage and just failed through age.

Regarding the moderns I used on the Brighton ride - they were nuclear hard as per the recommendations, and I used the matching inner tubes that came with them (and 2 spares!)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Try to avoid riding the bikes with skinnies... they're a fooker for getting punctures. Sick of fooking repairing em on my boy's Elf. Only need to look at it and it gets a flat.  :LolLolLolLol:

I do love my skinnies (but not in a DTTDB kinda way, knoworramean?!)

That's a great point though... are there repop skinnies available too???

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 04:38 PM »

That's a great point though... are there repop skinnies available too???

Not that i know of. ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 04:47 PM »
no idea what 'nuclear hard' is but I had no bother with my mid school haro multisurface tyres all the way to Brighton. In fact none of us had any puncture issues, we did enjoy trundling past spandex road warriors replacing inner tubes at the roadside less than 10 mins into the journey though :teef:

I suppose there's always the chance there was something sharp inside the rim? Or as Nick says just avoid skinnies if they're prone to it

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 05:12 PM »
They are supposed to be run at 80-115psi for minimum rolling resistance. The yare also supposed to be puncture resistant also. From what I gathered all of the holes in the inner tubes (which were all pin-sized) appeared to be around the sides so I am guessing you could be correct regarding the rim/pinching issues. Perhaps i'm too much of a lump and when I hit the odd pothole (which I inevitably did) I pinched the inner tube to the rim momentarily.

I will know better for next year anyway.

Mainly I am just looking for something that looks the part but won't explode for these next couple of builds. Neither will be running skinnies either you will be pleased to hear  ;)

Thanks for the comments so far lads  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 06:01 PM »
i run re issue Tioga comp 3's on my mcs for rides and track use , 20x1.75 skin walls,   run em at 70-80 psi never had an issue with em or a flat  either,  but i may just be lucky,     now,  the fat collectors turn their noses up when seeing they are re issue,  but......... they look the part, are cheap  ,    not crispy, thin as fook and perforated all over and  cost £300 a pair ,  non starter really ,  can't enjoy a roll around when yer worrying your tires will explode or are to expensive to do a skid on  :LolLolLolLol: which as we all know is the best thing in world ever, low down one footed going sideways  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:48 PM by oldtired »

rodriguez

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Take your pick there's a few to choose from, you've got the Tioga Comp III repops available from loads of places or the snakebellys and panracers freestyle tyres available at:

http://www.boydsbikes.com/tyres

Anybody who rides old tyres is just a bit stupid.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 06:25 PM »
i run re issue comp 3's on my mcs for rides and track use , 20x1.75 skin walls,   run em at 70-80 psi never had an issue with em or a flat  either,  but i may just be lucky,     now,  the fat collectors turn their noses up when seeing they are re issue,  but......... they look the part, are cheap  ,    not crispy, thin as fook and perforated all over and  cost £300 a pair ,  non starter really ,  can't enjoy a roll around when yer worrying your tires will explode or are to expensive to do a skid on  :LolLolLolLol: which as we all know is the best thing in world ever, low down one footed going sideways  :daumenhoch:

Hahaha... pretty much all of that is what I am talking about ^^  ;D

I think I am trying to talk myself into buying my first repop items. Not too fussed what people will think/say for these builds, as I will be running Skyways on both also and some people I know won't like that either.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 06:34 PM »

Fact.

As I found out riding shitty Barefeet tyres which equaled a broken collarbone.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 06:39 PM »
I'm still confused tho ...

"Just been sat here thinking this over, as I have recently been looking at building 3 longer frames for me to actually be able to comfortably ride. One is finished, but I still have a Pro and a Cruiser to complete.

The finished one is my WHEELS Pro, which as many of you know I used for the London to Brighton charity bike ride."

Longer .... Pro?

Don't you want a actual 'longer' bike to ride? my 22" TNT was lovely :-)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Well I managed 54miles on the WHEELS Pro and that was plenty long enough for me. Comfy, but then the frame design and angled back seatpost tube really makes it feel a lot longer than the TT length suggests. Much more room than my WHEELS Expert.

The others are my WHEELS Cruiser which is longer still, and then 'Rusty Rick' my Rickman Pro. I'm no giant myself so they are all fine for me. I was just really comparing them to my other previous builds which were kind of show bikes but not really built to use. I also want the missus to be able to ride them, and she's all legs.

Offline brimfull

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Take your pick there's a few to choose from, you've got the Tioga Comp III repops available from loads of places or the snakebellys and panracers freestyle tyres available at:

Is this the best place to get freestyle tyres from or are there any other available other than the new Panaracers?

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Would cheng shin whitewalls be a no no?

rodriguez

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 09:14 PM »

Another good option and cheap too   :daumenhoch:

Is this the best place to get freestyle tyres from or are there any other available other than the new Panaracers?

Kenda K55's on ebay   :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Got to agree with all the above ... Kenda k55s are fab, whitewalls work well too and those comp3 yellow labels are fantastic ...
Don't know much about the panaracers but Andy don't you have any ?  ::)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

griff

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 02:34 PM »

still got og tyres on my ripper  :idiot2:
ok so the sidewalls are a bit cracked but they've been holding air well enough (until now!)

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 03:22 PM »

No !!!!!!
Got some on the airzone now  :LolLolLolLol:
Fook using old tyres for riders, they're all shite after all these years...
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 08:09 PM »
I run rainbow labels on my rider, they were worn and cracked 5 years ago, done 3 years o/s racing on them, 60 psi, no bother.

These are 90's tyres, don't know of anyone who's had a problem with them, guess they are just that bit newer?

There's a few n/s tan wall tyres kicking around, personally I would use them on a rider, if I needed to!

rodriguez

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 03:08 PM »

still got og tyres on my ripper  :idiot2:
ok so the sidewalls are a bit cracked but they've been holding air well enough (until now!)

Thing is the rubber degrades, the fabric rots and the steel wire rusts maybe not all at the same time but anyone of them can lead to tyre failure when inflated to 40 psi and a grown man added.

PS There is no such thing as release dust rubber turns white as it degrades so the more white dust the more degraded the tyre is.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repop tyre quandary

gfxgfx
gfx gfx