gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 02:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ebay prices.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ebay prices.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
ebay prices.
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:26 AM »
I've been out of the BMX market place for sometime now and just getting back into it and finding ebay a tad frustrating to say the least. Main reason is that there are some nice 80's bikes I am interested in having but the sellers are listing them as buy now and not often with best offer facility in place. There is that old saying that something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and a lot off them are then been relisted as they were not sold, which immediately tells me it's not worth what he wants for it.
Wish I hadn't drifted away from this scene for so long !!!  :-[

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: ebay prices.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06 AM »
About 3 reasons for that, I would say.

A lot of those sellers bought parts to build those bikes when prices were high so looking for their money back at least. Some will be trying to reach previous sales prices, although some of those prices were created by friends and 'others' bidding on the bikes to try and get more from genuine buyers, thus never actually selling but giving the perception that they did. And lastly, those who see Bmx as an investment and will hold out in the hopes that some day someone will come along and pay their inflated prices.

Just my see on things though  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55 AM »
You could always message the seller with an offer..... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:35 AM »
To be fair a lot of stuff isn't shifting for the above mentioned reasons....
People ( myself included ) bought high and want to sell high in order to fund future purchases that are also high ... It's become a viscous circle and something's got to give soon.

People have got plenty of parts that need shifting if you look around or ask ... I've not used EBay for such a long time for parts ... Here, FB and the best way to get parts is from friends or friends of friends  fistblump
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:56 AM »
To be fair a lot of stuff isn't shifting for the above mentioned reasons....
People ( myself included ) bought high and want to sell high in order to fund future purchases that are also high ... It's become a viscous circle and something's got to give soon.

People have got plenty of parts that need shifting if you look around or ask ... I've not used EBay for such a long time for parts ... Here, FB and the best way to get parts is from friends or friends of friends  fistblump

I recently bought a 1987 Mongoose M1 in original condition and in need of restoring which I am starting next week, but would also like to buy something else and was looking at bikes and frames that have popped up like SE's, Hutch, Tange and Redlines etc. From what I've read its best to steer away from the mid to late 90's stuff so I'm looking at 80's and from what I've found they are not selling very well. For instance there is someone selling an 80's Birmingham Wheels orange freestyle for £700 and also white and red an 80's Hutch for £600. The bikes look great but why haven't they sold? I'm very cautious at buying if I'm paying way over the odds so I just don't know what else to go for. As I said before I am out of touch with BMX pricing but want to have a few rides as I love just cruising on them and the whole look of the bikes. It is re kinddling my youth.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Orange Birmingham WHEELS freestyle????

Are you sure? Link?
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 11:48 AM »

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Was gonna say.... very nearly shat my pants then. BW only made one freestyle prototype which was reportedly thrown out by a team members mum!
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Orange Birmingham WHEELS freestyle????

Are you sure? Link?

Sorry CW Racing. My mistake.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361730788772?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The frame and forks is pretty much the only thing worth having....It's been built with a load of cheap/ repop parts. Probably about it's money, nice colour though....
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 12:52 PM »

The frame and forks is pretty much the only thing worth having....It's been built with a load of cheap/ repop parts. Probably about it's money, nice colour though....
That's the sole reason that hasn't sold. The wheels, brakes, tyres, seat, and can't see the rest properly, are all reissue items. The only thing of any worth is the frame and fork, which is about £350. You wouldn't make £350 on the rest of it, if it even sold.

Most of the longer collectors/ builders won't touch it.
BANNED

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:36 PM »
And that is the nail on the head right there.

Loads of ace frames that have shit parts added and folk thinking they've built their retirement fund!

hen you mention it they see their arse and either report you or block you!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11 PM »
BANNED

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:31 AM »
And that is the nail on the head right there.

Loads of ace frames that have shit parts added and folk thinking they've built their retirement fund!

hen you mention it they see their arse and either report you or block you!

Yes, i have noticed that a lot either doing a rebuild and starting the bidding at £400 or finding and old burner thats been in a garage for 20 years collecting crap and starting that at £250 just because they see what is on ebay and think thats what they all sell for but don't realise there are different frame constructions. Almost been caught out a couple times. Glad I joined on here and have read what you guys have been posting in the past. A month on an oil rig in Angola allows plenty of research time on the computer.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ebay prices.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx