gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 08:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Where to buy a BMX Freewheel and Chain?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Where to buy a BMX Freewheel and Chain?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Where to buy a BMX Freewheel and Chain?
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Where is the best place to buy a BMX Sugino, ACS or Shimano Freewheel and a KMC Chain?  :-[

Seems there are lots of online retailors which sell KMC chains. But I don't understand all the different types. Was going to go with one of those 510 they do.  :-\
What about Freewheels? There is a very limited supply online. Seen the cheap Dicta's at AlansBMX, are these any good?  :-\

Thanks chaps.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Where to buy a BMX Freewheel and Chain?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Hey buddy.

I would stay away from cheap freewheels. Nothing worse than standing up, powering down on the cranks, and the freewheel give out on you. That's why now, if I am going to ride the bike hard, I use a White Ind freewheel. Expensive in the Uk, but in the US they are quite cheap. If you want one, let me know. I have a shipment coming over in the near future that i tag one into.

As for chains, most KMC are pretty good. I use the KMC Z510 HX, heavy duty, and their Inox chain, which is stainless steel  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:49 PM »
I have a few of the new Shimano SF MX30 freewheels. They look great, and the build quality is good. The only thing they lack is that lovely old school clicking sound when you back pedal, as they are silent

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:20 PM »
Where is the best place to buy?  :-\  :daumenhoch:

I have a few of the new Shimano SF MX30 freewheels. They look great, and the build quality is good. The only thing they lack is that lovely old school clicking sound when you back pedal, as they are silent

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:25 PM »
That's what I'm concerned about.  :(

Not used White before or heard of them.  :-[ How expensive are they?  :-\  :daumenhoch:

Hey buddy.

I would stay away from cheap freewheels. Nothing worse than standing up, powering down on the cranks, and the freewheel give out on you. That's why now, if I am going to ride the bike hard, I use a White Ind freewheel. Expensive in the Uk, but in the US they are quite cheap. If you want one, let me know. I have a shipment coming over in the near future that i tag one into.

As for chains, most KMC are pretty good. I use the KMC Z510 HX, heavy duty, and their Inox chain, which is stainless steel  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:01 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:39 PM »

I think I've bought them on ebay in the past, although I can't remember which sellers as it was a while ago. I think they were £20 or thereabouts. I also have a few sturmey archer freewheels (about £15 - ebay again), and they seem good for the money. I think if you're only rolling around or dog normal riding, most will be fine. I have a dicta on my Adidas build, and have ridden it lots without any problems. I suppose if you're riding hard/racing, or hammering it on ramps you woul want something better such as the white industries one.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Won't be doing hard riding just rolling around.  :)

There use to be a load of choice on ebay including NOS Shimano and Suntours. All gone now I suppose.  :-\

Thanks for the replies.  :coolsmiley:

I think I've bought them on ebay in the past, although I can't remember which sellers as it was a while ago. I think they were £20 or thereabouts. I also have a few sturmey archer freewheels (about £15 - ebay again), and they seem good for the money. I think if you're only rolling around or dog normal riding, most will be fine. I have a dicta on my Adidas build, and have ridden it lots without any problems. I suppose if you're riding hard/racing, or hammering it on ramps you woul want something better such as the white industries one.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:04 PM »
not that expensive considering it will probs be the last freewheel you'll buy, if you swap it from bike to bike that is , had two in the past and regret letting them go , i think   Profile do a sealed unit too but i suspect it will be pricey ,     Halo have one called the Clickster which is full cro-mo not sure if its sealed though  :( ,  you can still get the older type Shimano mx30's,  last well just keep em oiled , had one for years and it's still good, 

steer clear of the cheap freewheels, they're ok to get a bike rolling,  hit and miss with em  had some last a long time had others fail within  a few hours

the difference in the chains is the width and therefore the strength ,  the kmc site has all the info ,  510 h/ hx 's are 9.3mm pins 710 are 9.5mm pins and the 910's are 12.5mm pins the extra width is to allow for thicker side links,  standard single speed chains are usually 8 or 8.8mm , avoid the super lights seen a few of them break

i've  use 510 h/hx's for years with no issues, don't use the split link in with the chain  , buy a decent chain breaker/riveter and make the chian in one piece,   although kmc missing link connectors work ok

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 01:05 PM »
I have a couple of kmc 510s in gold going spare, I use one on my rider/race bike , never had any problems with it.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Thanks but would like silver.  :)

I have a couple of kmc 510s in gold going spare, I use one on my rider/race bike , never had any problems with it.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:18 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 01:37 PM »
yup there the ones ,  pretty much the bog standard bmx chain ,  always used em,   had a go with a a couple of half link chains , not cheap ones either , but they broke in places i had not joined them  , result being a stiff shoulder for six months  :LolLolLolLol:  so went back to 510hx's  ,

and yes get em from halfords ,   :daumenhoch:   the fixie market has driven the price up a bit in the proper bike shops , 

had  izumi chains too but found they stretch quite a bit , but that could just be me  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:40 PM by oldtired »

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 05:03 PM »
I was going to get shimano mx 30 for my build but reading the reviews on places that sold them most people said they didn't last long. Ended up buying KMC chain and dicta freewheel. Suppose it depends what your using your bike for. Dicta freewheel makes a lovely clicking sound too.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 06:22 PM »
The KMC chains mentioned are superb for around a fiver, you could spend more but I wouldn't. As for freewheels....IMO shimano are rubbish for the money, may as well buy a cheaper Dicta or likepriced, if money is not an issue, buy a White or a Profile
http://www.alansbmx.com/1628600/products/profile_racing_elite_freewheel.aspx
Both are very well made, sound awesome and are totally servicable, Halo clickster are deffo worth a look as they are just over £30 at a few places.
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/cassettes-freewheels-c68/halo-clickster-freewheel-p588/s1569?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=halo-clickster-freewheel-size-16t-size-16t-fwha716k&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CPWF-P2zmc8CFSsq0wod5XwF5g

If you want to get freewheel and chain reliability/value reviews, get on the fixed gear forums, the commuters/couriers know and you'll also benefit from good advice on facial hair gooming products and brogues that are good to ride in.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 08:16 PM »
Picked a couple of the sturmey archer freewheels up, they seem OK for 12 ish quid. Are a bit wide & had to use spacer washers on 1 build  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 10:07 PM »

If you want to get freewheel and chain reliability/value reviews, get on the fixed gear forums, the commuters/couriers know and you'll also benefit from good advice on facial hair gooming products and brogues that are good to ride in.

:2funny:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 12:02 AM »

:2funny:

"nono" "nono" "nono" "nono" "nono"
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Where to buy a BMX Freewheel and Chain?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx