gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  As promised 'What is this frame?' please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: As promised 'What is this frame?' please  (Read 1897 times)

Offline JC_Cool

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
As promised 'What is this frame?' please
« on: October 09, 2016, 12:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I've got a frame here I'm trying to ID that I've been really struggling with that hopefully someone may be able to help me out with. Now normally I keep quiet on forums and find my information in the library of past posts but it's not been so easy for this. The only clues I have for this frame is an S&M sticker on the front that's been put on wonky and the fact it had Ruption forks on but I've followed these leads and not found a full match unfortunately.

Someone has brought up that it could be a Ruption Chogger but after googling it doesn't appear to be and I've looked through hundreds of S&M frame pictures and can't find a match there either so I'm relying on some help please.

This is the frame in question

The serial number starts with GHI then 7 numbers I think.
Thanks for having a look and hopefully someone can enlighten me.
Any help is really appreciated.
Cheers

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: As promised 'What is this frame?' please
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:30 PM »
Off the top of my head the rear Dropouts look like powerlite.  The 990 lugs and dt size shouts late 90s

Offline JC_Cool

• Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Hhmm, interesting. Thanks for that, I will look into this.

The dropouts are definitely a strange shape, I did notice them when comparing to others online that they didn't match anything I looked at. Strange that there seems to be no stamps at all either apart from the serial number.

Cheers

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Off the top of my head the rear Dropouts look like powerlite.  The 990 lugs and dt size shouts late 90s

I agree... deffo a Powerlite.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Generally powerlite are stamped on the drop outs with their P logo. I can't say I've seen one that doesn't have it. But that does t mean they aren't out there. Late 90s powerlite starting putting out a fair few different models and im no expert.

Offline JC_Cool

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 05:24 PM »
spotted this on ebay? same but different? listed as a powerlite

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/powerlite-bmx-frame-retro-mid-school-vintage-classic-/302087587807?hash=item4655d2c7df%3Ag%3AmkAAAOSw8gVX6X8I&nma=true&si=QhxlD1l%252Bo5UU8mltozTRs9zsDFE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Good spot!! Nice one, that is almost identical except from the seat post back. I actually prefer the one I've got here though to be honest.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Definite Powerlite look to it that

Offline JC_Cool

• Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Generally powerlite are stamped on the drop outs with their P logo. I can't say I've seen one that doesn't have it. But that does t mean they aren't out there. Late 90s powerlite starting putting out a fair few different models and im no expert.

Yeah the pictures I've been looking at they all seem to be stamped. I'll give it another good scan as I know where to look now but I'm pretty sure there isn't any.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Do you actually have the frame or just pictures?  as one of those drop outs looked to have an oval circle stamp on it, could just be my dodgy mincers though  ;D

Offline JC_Cool

• Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 05:42 PM »
At least I know the S&M sticker can go anyway, haha. Had a quick look into powerlite and it seems that GT took them over which is funny because when I was comparing it to other bikes I was noticing some slight similarities between it and some GT frames.

Regarding the lack of stamps, I'm wondering if maybe GT has put out a bike for another company and used a mix of bits including the dropouts.

Who knows? Definitely on my way now though, cheers for the input.

Offline JC_Cool

• Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 05:46 PM »
Do you actually have the frame or just pictures?  as one of those drop outs looked to have an oval circle stamp on it, could just be my dodgy mincers though  ;D
Yeah I've got it Pickle, I'll go out and have a look after I've had my tea. As I say I know exactly where to have a good look now so will check it out. The only marks I can remember seeing on it were a couple of dents and I think there was a couple of holes drilled into the bars that come down from the seat post just before they meet the dropouts.

I'll check it out though, cheers.

Offline JC_Cool

• Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Definitely no stamps or anything and I've been through the 90's powerlite catalogue and can't see it in there either.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Maybe a Friday afternoon build at the factory? You never know?  ???

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 09:44 PM »
The closest I've seen is the fs2 but yours looks like the standing platform was left off

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  As promised 'What is this frame?' please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx