gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 12:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Euro BB
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Euro BB  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Euro BB
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:18 PM »
I recently purchased and built a 2013 Skyway TA frame set. The BB used on these is euro, so after much deliberation and discussion with others, I decided to fit an Odyssey.

Anyway, it came, I fitted, and voila. I have used the bike solely for commuting, one of the reasons is because all the bearings are sealed and because it is all modern and new. After around 20 days of commuting 10.4 miles daily, I was getting a creaking and clicking from the drive area. I thought it was the pedals, so swapped them out, only to find it was still happening. So I stripped the cranks and found the bearings in the drive side cup are notchy and generally rough to spin.

So I contacted the seller, who will remain nameless, and received this email back:-

"Hi Terry,

Thank you for your e-mail. I’m sorry you feel the bb hasn’t lasted very long. Unfortunately, there is no warranty on bearings. Bottom brackets can only last a short while and this is dependent on a number of factors including use/weather conditions etc.

I’m sorry but we can’t offer warranty on this product.

Many thanks"

Well, I am not happy with that at all. You can't sell a product that is generally not fit for purpose. I have sealed bearings from the 80's I am still riding on  :knuppel2:

I contacted Odyssey today and was greeted by what sounded like a 12 year old, and explained the situation to him. It went a little like this:-

I have never heard of that before....

Scratch that one off the list....

Eh?....

I have some answers written down that are predetermined as to what you will reply with, so I have scrubbed that one of the list....

Okay. It must have been fitted wrong. What BB is it?....

I already stated it's euro bb.

Well, the person who fitted it must have done it wrong, this has never happened that I know of....

I fitted it myself....

And how did you bang it in?....

Bang it in? It's a euro bb. It screws in. Scrub that off the list....

Eh?....

Trying to pass the onus or blame onto the fitter. I can see this is going to be a long one. I screwed in the BB casing on the non drive side. I took the axle and placed the centre spacer on it. I put the axle into the bb shell and through the bearings. Then I fitted the drive side casing over the axle and screwed it in. The frame is brand new....

So how long have you had the bb? How do you ride it?....

I have had it for about 2 months and fitted it a month ago, and been riding on it for around 20 days. I commute on it, nothing else. The bb was fitted properly, so I can only assume the bearings are faulty. It has not been out in the rain, and I didn't ride it in the north pole then quickly transport to saudi arabia, so there is no 'conditions' that will otherwise tell me, that it is a case of faulty bearings.

Anyways, I have to take pictures of the BB threads to prove I haven't cross threaded them etc etc etc.

I just want some friggin' replacement bearings, or a replacement BB. Too much to ask? Or is it just a case they wear so quickly?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:27 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Euro BB
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:35 AM »
It's a BB, just take it out and buy another one and never buy another Ody one.

Just one of those things

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 12:18 PM »
It's no wonder companies like Odyssey don't know about things like this, if everybody thought like that.

£35 may not be much to a lot of people, but £35 spent on something that only lasts 20 days, is not acceptable to me.
BANNED

In2bmx

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Shite that mate ..  :knuppel2:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Not pinching the bearings too much is key with a euro b/b. Make sure the tube spacer is 100% the right width & don't crank the spindle bolts like a madman! As regards to the Odyssey b/b you have loads of people, myself included had problems with crap bearings from them, get some better quality ones in there & you should be ok. I have a 15 year old mtb still on it's original set!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline leg end

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:05 PM »
I can assure you have not installed it correctly , the bearings are tiny and incorrect sideload for 10 days will fook it up

rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 01:53 PM »
I don't rate a lot of the odyssey stuff, like Pickle says buy another I wouldn't persist with a POS.

I'd be looking a refund, if you bought it in the UK or off a UK vender on line you're covered by Sale of Goods Act, not fit for purpose, your contract is with the vendor so it's them you should be hassling.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:52 PM »
You read yourself what the vendor had to say though. They will not budge. Odyssey have basically said that I have over tightened the bearings and they can see a minute bit of rust on the thread casing. The best they offered was a crash kit (4 new bearings) for £20 + vat + postage. Basically £30, £5 cheaper than the full kit.

Total bullshit. I know how to fit and build.

I will never use an Odyssey product again.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:54 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:00 PM »
I can assure you have not installed it correctly , the bearings are tiny and incorrect sideload for 10 days will fook it up
Are you kidding me? 2 screw in cups with bearings already pressed into them, and a tube spacer. Even a blind, dyslexic, paraplegic could fit it. It's cheap shit bearings, end of.
BANNED

rodriguez

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 12:48 AM »
I've read the vendors reply again and I definitely give it another go, by saying there's no warranty is like saying you have no rights which is bollox, so I'd reply including something along the lines of....

"Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 a product should be fit for purpose and also last a reasonable length of time.

This product is clearly not fit for purpose as it broke during light use and it lasted 20* days which is clearly not a reasonable length of time.

This is totally unacceptable for a product of this type and I would like replacement from a different manufacturer."

*if you've owned it for 3 months say "in the 3 months I've owned this product I've used it approximately 20 times"

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 replaced the old Sale of Goods Act 1979 everyday is a school day.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Also if you payed by credit card or paypal they may be able to help.

What shop did you purchase from?

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Unless the spacer is too short, As far as I can workout you will not have any sideload on the bearings.
I read on Profiles website their fitting guide/instructions and they say that even if the bearing moves onwards slightly when fitting it is not an issue. They also advise PTFE tape around the threads.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 04:32 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Euro BB

gfxgfx
gfx gfx