gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Akisu F/F ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Akisu F/F ?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Akisu F/F ?
« on: September 24, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Were Akisu F/F's from the 80's any good, or were they a budget buy ?

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Akisu F/F ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Akisu made generic framesets for lots of other companies back in the 80's.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Basically Akisu was a manufacturer who made frame sets for a lot of the BMX brands, budget right through to premium, Akisu manufactured to the spec the brand wanted so some of the frame sets were mig welded, hi tensile steel so lower quality and some were cr-mo, tig welded so higher quality.  They did market a limited number of frame sets under their own name but mainly concentrated for manufacturing for other people.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/akisu/?pg=1

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:22 PM »
That's a good point (that they made bikes to a given spec), as some people look down on them for being a poorer quality, Taiwanese manufacturer. If they were good enough for Diamond Back, etc... :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:51 AM »
That's a good point (that they made bikes to a given spec), as some people look down on them for being a poorer quality, Taiwanese manufacturer. If they were good enough for Diamond Back, etc... :daumenhoch:

Sorta like a Taiwanese Tange?!  :-\
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

monkian

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:56 AM »
All good points raised by the lads above but I've also seen some Akisu parts labeled 'Made in Japan'.
Speculation but it could be that they moved production to Taiwan from Japan (like most of the others including Tange) but maybe did it early.

monkian

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:40 PM »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 02:36 PM »
The plot thickens! What frame is that Paul?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 03:53 PM »
I had an Akisu BITD, it was the last frame I had before I gave BMX up in 1987.

It was a good frameset to be fair. I had a Piranha - broke it, a Fox 4 Styler - broke that, but my trusty Akisu took the all punishment that a 15 year old kid could give it. It was close to identical to my mates Aero Pro too, so much so, that I took the decals off and told people it was an AP.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Akisu are masters of the replica frameset  ;)

Akisu in Latin means 'to copy or be copied'   ::)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 12:24 AM »
Well in Japanese it actually means burglar, which kind of fits if you view copying as stealing!! :daumenhoch:

I may be mixing this up with another brand but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the name was thought of because it sounded Japanese (which it does).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Akisu F/F ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx