gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Acorn Mag Wheels
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Acorn Mag Wheels  (Read 1813 times)

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Acorn Mag Wheels
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Where the British made Acorn Mag wheels any good? How were they compaired to Skyway's ?

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Acorn Mag Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:16 PM »
The Acorn freestyle mags were O.k, but still flimsy when compared to a Skyway. The only mags which are as good as Skyways are O.G,K/ Peregrine Masters  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Damo, they were OK wheels, but not as good as Tuffs, but were a few quid cheaper than Tuffs, which BITD suited Mum's & Dad's more. I do remember there being lots of them about, probably because like the Aero Zytec, a lot of low end Brit manufacturers fitted them on their bikes.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline damonW

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:00 PM »
The Acorn freestyle mags were O.k, but still flimsy when compared to a Skyway. The only mags which are as good as Skyways are O.G,K/ Peregrine Masters  :daumenhoch:

But if the Acorn came with alloy hubs and the Tuff II's with plastic hubs would you still favour the Skyways ?

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:38 PM »

But if the Acorn came with alloy hubs and the Tuff II's with plastic hubs would you still favour the Skyways ?

YES!! The plastic hubbed tuffs are better than the early ally hubbed ones. It hasn't got much to do with the hub tbh, the Skyways are more rigid and tougher in construction. I have had the two side by side for comparison...If you try to bend them by hand you will find the Skyway much more rigid.
I had a pair of Acorn freestyle back in the day and I never broke them, but then I was a 12 yr old kid! Most of the Acorns came with a coaster brake too, depending on your preference...
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:34 PM »
As the guys say, more to do with construction/spoke thickness.

Had both, BITD and recently. Acorns would be fine for cruising around but would be far higher risk of breaking with hard riding. Bust a pair BITD on a hard landing.

So depending what you want them for, and more importantly what YOU will be happy with take your choice my friend  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Acorn Mags were good quality. Some of them were stamped Mongoose.

Always liked the Hub design on then.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Acorn Mag Wheels

gfxgfx
gfx gfx