gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Z Rims Dying
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Z Rims Dying  (Read 1761 times)

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Z Rims Dying
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Need some help...

Just picked up some blue z-rims with original ACS hubs but both looking a little worst for wear.

Will get the hubs stripped and re-annodised but wanted to see how I go about dying/re-finishing the rims?

Thanks in advance

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Z Rims Dying
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Need some help...

Just picked up some blue z-rims with original ACS hubs but both looking a little worst for wear.

Will get the hubs stripped and re-annodised but wanted to see how I go about dying/re-finishing the rims?

Thanks in advance

I dyed 2 sets black back in 2012. Black was easy as you can't go wrong by overdoing the dying process, I guess you'll need to go easy with blue as you'll end up with them being too dark.

There is a tech thread on here on how to do it somewhere, and someone will know what colour Rit dye to get the right colour, Andy DTTDB did them on his Adidas build, maybe pm him.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:54 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Well I am actually tempted to go black. :D

I bought back my first ever build.. the white mongoose cali with custom decals...

I had black rims, blue hubs and white spokes.. see the bike in ' me and my bikes' section on here.

So Rit dye is the best? 

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:01 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Well I am actually tempted to go black. :D

I bought back my first ever build.. the white mongoose cali with custom decals...

I had black rims, blue hubs and white spokes.. see the bike in ' me and my bikes' section on here.

So Rit dye is the best?

Seems to be with Zeddies matey.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:03 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17899.0.html

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178492.msg1792777.html#msg1792777

Rit worked far better than Dylon for me. I bought a large black planter tub from Wilkinsons, as it was the perfect size to lay rims flat. Dyed my rims, them took the planter back for a refund as i had no further use for it (as i didn't have a garden). I didn't have a wallpaper stripper/steamer, so had to keep removing some of the water, putting it into a pan on the hob and bringing it back to the boil before putting it back into the tub. The whole process took about 3 hours. Be careful as the dye can splash very easily and potentially ruin your brand new kitchen surfaces. Best of luck - you'll be fine  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:09 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline Andy1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Id offer them up for trade before dying them black. There are loads more black sets than blue about. I think acs hubs are painted not anno. the black zed hubs I refurbed were painted.

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Id offer them up for trade before dying them black. There are loads more black sets than blue about. I think acs hubs are painted not anno. the black zed hubs I refurbed were painted.

The ACS hubs are painted bud.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Thanks all

Im going to get the rims aqua blasted first and see how they come up...

If they come up ok then will get the hubs re painted.

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Z Rims Dying

gfxgfx
gfx gfx