gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ammaco Mongoose restoration, what to do?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ammaco Mongoose restoration, what to do?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Ammaco Mongoose restoration, what to do?
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Hi All,

New to the restoration scene and posted a while back re an old Mongoose i was given.

Allen Chrome Plating are no longer taking on any frames at mo as busy with other work.  So can anyone else be suggested or should i get it stripped and powder coated?

ACS Z rims, I did get them aqua blasted but didnt make much difference.  Can they be fine sanded and oiled?

Finally can new bearings be bought for the hubs.

Thanks for any help.  Mad rain in Sheffield just now!!!!

ta Nick

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Ammaco Mongoose restoration, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Hi Nick, have any pics of the bike?

Is the chrome too far gone for an oxy bath?

If so, and you want to save time and £££'s, then yes, go down the powder coat route, but let the lads take a look at it first.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Hi Nick, welcome to RAD. Ok, re: chroming. If you phone/text/email allenchrome, their books are officially closed for approx. 6 months - I spoke to Dave there a few weeks ago. Part of the reason is the prep time required to get a frame in good enough condition to plate it. If you contact John at Leigh Metal Polishers, Swinton, Manchester on 0161 728 4325, they will strip your frame, polish it to the required standard, and send it to one of their small group of chrome platers to get done. Here's the icing on the cake. Allenchrome are one of their platers, although it just depends on how busy each plating company is, so you cannot specify where your frame will go to. Any attempts to force the issue regarding which chrome to send it to will not be looked on favourably by the polisher. I've told you this off the record so to speak, so no mention of it please. I've left this post public to let others reap the benefits from using Leigh Metal Polishers. I've used them for 6 years now, and apart from getting a few special items done directly with allenchrome (very long story which I won't bore you with), I wouldn't go anywhere else for my chroming. My old Hutch Pro Racer (now sold), was prepped/polished by Leigh Metal polishers - they sent it off for chrome, so I don't know which plater actually did it - it may have been Allenchrome. The finish is amazing - Ask Retrodan to confirm, as he owns the frameset now

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51 PM »
 :coolsmiley:

Hi Nick, welcome to RAD. Ok, re: chroming. If you phone/text/email allenchrome, their books are officially closed for approx. 6 months - I spoke to Dave there a few weeks ago. Part of the reason is the prep time required to get a frame in good enough condition to plate it. If you contact John at Leigh Metal Polishers, Swinton, Manchester on 0161 728 4325, they will strip your frame, polish it to the required standard, and send it to one of their small group of chrome platers to get done. Here's the icing on the cake. Allenchrome are one of their platers, although it just depends on how busy each plating company is, so you cannot specify where your frame will go to. Any attempts to force the issue regarding which chrome to send it to will not be looked on favourably by the polisher. I've told you this off the record so to speak, so no mention of it please. I've left this post public to let others reap the benefits from using Leigh Metal Polishers. I've used them for 6 years now, and apart from getting a few special items done directly with allenchrome (very long story which I won't bore you with), I wouldn't go anywhere else for my chroming. My old Hutch Pro Racer (now sold), was prepped/polished by Leigh Metal polishers - they sent it off for chrome, so I don't know which plater actually did it - it may have been Allenchrome. The finish is amazing - Ask Retrodan to confirm, as he owns the frameset now

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the info, that is so kind.  I guess its not worth spending vast amounts on this bike, however I want to have a crack at this and see how it goes. 

Dave was very helpful and gave me some good advice.  I shall ring John tomorrow.  Wow the Hutch looks amazing!

Thanks

Nick

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:43 PM »
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

So i've fine sanded my ACS Z rims with 600 and then 1200 wet and dry (hope that's the right way round.......)  and then several good soaks in
WD40 and they certainly look a lot better than before.  I notice Fin Lube has been used, does anyone know if that's a lot better?

I'll post pictures of the hubs later.

Thanks  Nick [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ammaco Mongoose restoration, what to do?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx