gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:04 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Any Powerlite Powerbend Gurus Out There?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Any Powerlite Powerbend Gurus Out There?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Any Powerlite Powerbend Gurus Out There?
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Hi Guys, got these in with a deal on one of my frames. Not being knowledgeable with these bars I wondered whether anyone could help id the age etc for me. As far as I know they could be anything from gen 2 (post vdc) right up to 2016's, so any insight would be much appreciated:

Thanks.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Re: Any Powerlite Powerbend Gurus Out There?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Those look like mid to late 80's ones, however they have no knurling which suggests very early ones?

Is there any stamping on the ends?

Has the knurl been removed?

The very early bars had a flat bend at the bottom, bit like Star Bars, no knurl

Then a straight knurl, bit more curved at the bottom

Then diamond knurl with more curve again.

Hope this helps.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Thanks buddy, great info & very helpful.

Just had a much closer look at them, it's difficult to say for certain as the powder is quite thick. Couldn't be 100% without stripping them but I can't see any evidence of stem area  knurling or bar end stampings ('Pro' etc). Interestingly on the frame I got in the same deal (pre serial pro racer) I can make out the brake bridge stamping - just. So maybe there is no knurling etc, just wouldn't want to bak on it. Stem clamp area is quite crimped at the back, much like lots 80's bars suffered when young gorillas over tightened their stems (of course never did that myself BITD  :whistle:). Just trying to get an idea on age etc to understand whether it's worth sorting the stem area and storing them away for later or just leaving them etc.

Got some early 80's log bars I could offer them up against (sweep, bend radii comparisons etc) but they're buried deep in the loft and was being lazy, trying to save climbing through the mounds of cack I have up there to find them.

Thanks again  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:50 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Looking at them again,and taking into account the Hutch frame, they are probably mid 80's gen3, they would have had the chequered flag style decal.

Deffo worth keeping as is, chroming and sorting out the crimp would be uneconomical in my view.

Decal em up and use them!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:11 PM »
I've got a set that need i.ding Andy... I'll post a pic later see what you think.   :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 09:31 AM »
I think the stamping was introduced after GT bought the company in the late 80s.

By way of reference, here's my first generation ones:-

From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39 PM »
I think the stamping was introduced after GT bought the company in the late 80s.

By way of reference, here's my first generation ones:-

those Bars though!!gimme!!! :shocked:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:53 PM »
They make your grips look funny  :teef:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47 PM »
They make your grips look funny  :teef:

I'm not keen on them myself due to that reason. Each to their own though and all that. A good score, and great info coming from radsters in the know  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Any Powerlite Powerbend Gurus Out There?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx