gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  AD990 set up help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AD990 set up help  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
AD990 set up help
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:19 AM »
I've got 2 issues

1. The AD990 arms are too close to each other and they are rubbing against each other - very annoying!
2. The brake cable which is routed through the frame with a barrel adjuster is touching the bottom side of the frame hole - worried it will snap inner cable or worse wear the frame overtime

Any help would be much appreciated

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: AD990 set up help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:13 PM »
I'm not an expert on this kind of brakes, but have you tried to put another thin washer just at one of the two arms to create a bit of a gap at the upper end of the arms?

Regarding your second issue, I have no clear picture in mind that would give an idea how this looks like. Could you post a picture of that issue?  :daumenhoch: 

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Yeah get a picture or two up and let's see  :daumenhoch:

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Pictures coming tomorrow thanks for the comments

1 burning question is there such a thing as a long barrel adjuster for the frame hole.  I've just fitted one I had lying around (quite short) but wondered if a longer one would help to avoid friction wear

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:53 PM »
What frame is it?

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:07 PM »
What frame is it?
1995 S&M Dirtbike

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Inner cable hitting frame hole (sitting too low in hole IMO)

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Short barrel adjuster (probably sitting half way through tube (not sure if this should be longer and pop out otherside?)

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Difficult to see but these arms are touching each other and are slightly rubbing when pulling brake lever

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Difficult to see but these arms are touching each other and are slightly rubbing when pulling brake lever

In this case I would try a suitable washer at the upper arm to  lift it just enough to get rid of the rubbing isssue.  :daumenhoch:
Regarding the other issue, I don't know about any adjusters that long so that it would go through the frame tube. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Can you fit a piece of an outer cable there to prevent it from rubbing agianst the frame?

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:16 PM »

In this case I would try a suitable washer at the upper arm to  lift it just enough to get rid of the rubbing isssue.  :daumenhoch:
Regarding the other issue, I don't know about any adjusters that long so that it would go through the frame tube. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Can you fit a piece of an outer cable there to prevent it from rubbing agianst the frame?

Thanks if I fit a washer exactly where would it go?

I've just been given a length of outer cable (from a modern mountain bike) it's clear and very small in diameter

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 03:47 PM »
are they rubbing when the cable is under tension and set up correctly?  or are they rubbing when loose?  as the arms are thinner where they would normally cross over.  I wonder if you're seeing the rubbing before you've set it up correctly?

apologies if you have and this comes across as a bit silly  ;D

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 05:44 PM »

I've just been given a length of outer cable (from a modern mountain bike) it's clear and very small in diameter

I've just had a look at a few pictures of a bike like yours. Obviously all cables are rubbing against the hole. At least I couldn't find a single picture that showd me somebody was trying to solve that problem. But if you are still concerned about the cable could snap at some point in time, try that piece of outer you've been given.

What pickle said is also very interesting. His question brought something to my attention, I've completely overlooked so far. All your pictures are without a rear wheel. To set a brake up propperly, I think there should be a rear wheel fitted too. As long as there is no tension to the brake cables, arms rubbing against each other doesn't seem to be too strange to me. So maybe you may put a wheel in, set up the brakes as you like 'em to be, and then look if the issues are still there.

If, I would try to fit the washer there to lift the arm up a tiny bit:  :daumenhoch:

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 06:44 PM »
are they rubbing when the cable is under tension and set up correctly?  or are they rubbing when loose?  as the arms are thinner where they would normally cross over.  I wonder if you're seeing the rubbing before you've set it up correctly?

apologies if you have and this comes across as a bit silly  ;D

Thanks for the comments it most certainly doesn't come across as silly.  It really is my first time setting up an AD990.  All my bikes have pitbulls so I'm the novice here

They do rub when set and when not so I think it's the frame mounts just not being 100% (forgive me nosepickben for claiming that discovery as my own).  I think a small amount of filing is necessary and the next time I'm near someone with the bike who knows how to set these up correctly a bit of fine tuning

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 08:32 PM »
sometimes the bushes on 990's are out a bit  ,they're pressed in ,  worth checking at least ? 

an s&m with misaligned brake mounts ........... never ......   :-X     :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Lpodonovan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 08:45 PM »

I've just had a look at a few pictures of a bike like yours. Obviously all cables are rubbing against the hole. At least I couldn't find a single picture that showd me somebody was trying to solve that problem. But if you are still concerned about the cable could snap at some point in time, try that piece of outer you've been given.

What pickle said is also very interesting. His question brought something to my attention, I've completely overlooked so far. All your pictures are without a rear wheel. To set a brake up propperly, I think there should be a rear wheel fitted too. As long as there is no tension to the brake cables, arms rubbing against each other doesn't seem to be too strange to me. So maybe you may put a wheel in, set up the brakes as you like 'em to be, and then look if the issues are still there.

If, I would try to fit the washer there to lift the arm up a tiny bit:  :daumenhoch:

Thank you wheels were fitted today (thank you nosepickben) and the brakes actually 'feel' good.  I think part way through yhis build I had low confidence this was set up right.  I must add I'm the classic collector non-rider and until I bring my bikes to an MK event they I'll probably stay in my man cave and won't be ridden

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  AD990 set up help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx