gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear wheel position
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rear wheel position  (Read 994 times)

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Rear wheel position
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Probably another daft question but does the position of your back wheel make a great deal of difference to the feel of your bike?

Offline Chez-6

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Rear wheel position
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I feel its better when it is behind me and not  flying over my head when doing a face plant over my bars  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Chez-6

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:34 PM »
serious note, I would have though so but couldn't give you clear guidance on this as pretty new to BMX myself but I am sure some of the more experienced Radsters will be able to offer you some guidance.  fistblump Chez 

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Depends how long your chain is, not so important if you are building with a new one. Also how the brake aligns to the wheel rim. Normally I would say about the middle of the dropout is a good starting point.  :daumenhoch:

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Depends on what you are doing, longer wheelbase is more stable, but harder to get the front wheel up.

Slamming the rear wheel increases stiffness of the back end, and stops rear wheel slipping forward without tensioners.

The main reason for slotted dropouts is for tensioning and allows for sprocket changes without altering the chain.

I'D say the middle of the drops with a 44t allowing 1 tooth either way without splitting the chain.

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps I don't suppose for my riding I'll notice any difference I'll go somewhere in the middle :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear wheel position

gfxgfx
gfx gfx