gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Threaded headset advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Threaded headset advice  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Connors

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Threaded headset advice
« on: July 24, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Hi Newbie here in need of some words of wisdom and/or hard learned experience please .

I've restored a 1995 Diamondback Reactor and for a first time I'm pleased with results. I've replaced bearings in the bottom bracket (working well) and the front hub (also spinning nicely) but the bloody threaded headset is driving me insane!!!!

The bearings were knackered and easily got replacements. Have watched literally dozens of how to guides on YouTube but try as I might I cannot get to that wonderful place where there is no play but also no stiffness in the steering.

The one thing that does seem unusual compared to every diagram I've seen and video watched is that instead of a slotted washer I have a threaded washer that goes on after the adjustable race and before the locknut. Not sure if that is meant to be tightened to same degree as adjustable race or up really tight like the lock nut.

I'm as certain as I can be that the bearings are in correct and the races don't look uneven or pitted but admittedly I'm no expert.

Any advice or suggestions very welcome before I admit defeat and take to LBS??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Threaded headset advice
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 02:41 PM »
I don't quite know what you mean by a threaded washer...both of mine have the slotted washer. When you nip the top nut up it usually tightens the bottom one  little to so the trick is to get it to where there is a tiny bit of play by hand then nip it up and it should be about right. A pic of what you have might help...you will need a photobucket or similar hosting account, then copy and paste the IMg code here  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Connors

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Thanks Deeman.

I should have put a piccie on first time around and I will do so via tapatalk.

Bike is currently with friendly LBS owner who offered to take a look. By own admission he is no old school guru but like me he is a bit stumped as no matter how he tightens one ride around the block and the play comes back.

When I say threaded washer it is a very thin nut that is like a mini threaded race that sits between the actual threaded race and the lock nut! I've purchased a couple of headsets from ebay and Alans BMX as was considering a full replacement but they are too small!

Its a shame as bike has come on nicely for a first attempt but would be nice to ride it now :-)

Pics to follow - would appreciate any further input!

Cheers

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 03:18 PM »
take the whole headset out and throw it in the bin, buy a new Tioga Beartrap 2 headset, fit it and forget  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Threaded headset advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx