gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Euro BB
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Euro BB  (Read 859 times)

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Euro BB
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:04 PM »
Just got hold of a 2003 GT Ultrabox with euro bottom bracket and bought a nice blue anno Blank BB for it.. anyway , every BB that i've tried in this frame are tight as fook . Are there different thread pitches used in the BMX world or could the thread in the frame possibly need chasing out with a die ? Sorry for a lame question, but i don't know a busting amount about euro BB's.

cheers in advance.

Dave.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Euro BB
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I would clean everything, I believe BMX Euro BB's are all the same. I know in the road bike world there are different thread pitch's.
If you follow Profile's instalation guide you even put ptfe tape around the threads.

Taken from Profile website, Video no longer there

Installing a Euro (English/ISO) BB is pretty simple.You will need a 36mm headset wrench. Ideally, you should clean the threads of the frame, and then give them a light coating of grease. If you really want to do it right, because you hate hearing your BB creaking, then you should get some teflon tape from the hardware store and wrap the threads of the cups.

The drive side cup has a line around it and is left-hand (reverse) threaded. Carefully thread this cup into place. Insert the proper tube spacer for the width of your BB shell.

The non-drive side cup is right-hand threaded, so it tightens normally. Again, wrap the threads with teflon tape if you like, and snug it up.

When the cup is almost tight, it’s not unusual for the bearings to move outwards slightly- don’t freak out here. It’s better to have a tube spacer that’s 1mm too long than it is to have one that’s too short- you might as well not have one there at all in that case, and you need a tube spacer so that the bearings don’t pinch when the cranks are tightened down.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Thanks bud.. i'd sussed most of what you mentioned... i think i just need the threads in the frame chasing out then  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:33 PM »
It means nothing to meeeee

Sorry Dave  :teef:

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 02:07 PM »
 :) I`d be worried that the spindle is a 20mm too! GT were fookers for using them instead of 19mm:)
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:38 PM »
:) I`d be worried that the spindle is a 20mm too! GT were fookers for using them instead of 19mm:)

All's ok in that dept... got some 22mm spindle Illegal cranks(powerbite lookie likies) and a new Blank BB to suit.  :daumenhoch:

+ they also look a little ike the old GT Power Series cranks.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:20 PM by HUTCHMAN »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Euro BB

gfxgfx
gfx gfx