gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 12:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  NOS......really??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: NOS......really??  (Read 3425 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
NOS......really??
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:17 PM »
NOS........really??

I see so many people advertise stuff as NOS but can there really still be that much old stuff out there that's never been taken out of it original wrapping or fitted to a bike? All be it a show bike?

I guess you can argue what it really means but I've always gone with New Old Stock so the item should still be in its original wrapping and never fitted or used.

So surely on this basis there can't really be that much NOS stuff about??

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Re: NOS......really??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:21 PM »
''used''  an all time classic :2funny:  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25 PM »
Very interesting question!  :daumenhoch: As I recently tought about that aswell, I will follow this thread with great interest.

griff

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:26 PM »
''used''  an all time classic :2funny:  :LolLolLolLol:

that one always makes me chuckle

also enjoy 'NOS, shows some shelf wear' used as a description for something that looks like it's been chucked off a cliff

griff

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:28 PM »
slightly off-topic, but 'just want back what I paid for it' posts on FB, from someone who paid top dollar because he was impatient and then got stiffed for customs/postage charges from the US are usually entertaining as well

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:53 PM »
I haven't sold too many parts to be honest, but when I do I usually state it was bought nos, but fixed to a show bike.  If the part isn't nos just say minty condition, but I guess using nos allows a few more £££s to be added.  Even if it is twisting the truth a little :):):)

I also have nos parts, that are genuinely new old stock, but have a little shelf wear by a decade or two stored out the back  by bike shops.
Neil

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15 PM »
I remember going to an OS sale at Alans  quite a few years ago and he had NOS DC MX1000 calipers at £200 a set. They came with no packaging but still regarded as new old stock.
Don't talk to me about 'Minty"!  My arse,it's Mint. Scuffed seats with repop decals described as mint is just one instance where I bought a 'minty' item. Never again.  :yahoo_silent:

In2bmx

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I hate stuff in bags ..I have to take it out and use it for the purpose it was intended  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01 PM »
 :crazy2:

Back in 1985, MX1000's and 900's were shipped out of Japan to Europe and the US in boxes of 50. None of them had their own packaging, and were just single calipers.

As for shelf wear, I have bought NOS items with shelf wear, but if you know what to look for, you can always tell if something has been used or fitted. Always ask for lots of pictures, and confirm that the item shown is the item you are getting, if you are unsure.

My personal favourite is - "Only taken out of packaging for pictures"  ;D

Even in the bag items can be removed and replaced after bein g fitted.
BANNED

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 02:27 PM »
I agree guys but my question was one of surely there can't be that many proper NOS items out there now?

used can be used for anything, everything was once  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I've got to disagree .. Even a relatively low level collector like me had until very recently ... 20 items new and in boxes or packets not even for s a build but just sat there in the cupboard ..
I've usually used lots of NOS in packet stuff on my builds over the last 5-6years ...
I've been at collectors houses recently where you see lots of NOS stuff both in packets/ or really unused/never fitted condition so it is still out there I think Rob .. It's just people are bigger hoarders these days ..

If an item was on display it wouldn't have necessarily been in its packet .. like I've mentioned before in Alan's today you see everything from tyres,wheels,bars, grips, seats, pedals out on display without boxes or packaging. I'm sure it was more so BITD hence NOS items unbagged  :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I don't think there is much truly nos stuff which is available for sale in any great amounts.....most of it in the hands of collectors/ hoarders  :-\
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 10:13 PM »
most of it in the hands of collectors/ hoarders  :-\
With excuses like "I am keeping it to stop people using it and history disappearing".

::)
BANNED

Offline Why isnt this working

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51 PM »
NOS........really??

I see so many people advertise stuff as NOS but can there really still be that much old stuff out there that's never been taken out of it original wrapping or fitted to a bike? All be it a show bike?

I guess you can argue what it really means but I've always gone with New Old Stock so the item should still be in its original wrapping and never fitted or used.

So surely on this basis there can't really be that much NOS stuff about??

Agreed, on that basis I think your probably right.

I've recently advertised some parts as N.O.S and always believed that as long as the part/parts hadn't been fitted they would be classed as N.O.S, regardless of having the packaging?

I suppose the way forward is to give clear concise descriptions. I'll do better from now on... :LolLolLolLol:

Si.... :)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 11:08 PM »
most of it in the hands of collectors/ hoarders  :-\
With excuses like "I am keeping it to stop people using it and history disappearing".

::)

To sneakily disguise they are mental....... :LolLolLolLol:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24 AM »
If there are still a few lovely NOS items out there for you, it's all down to me and the rest of the Repop massive few.

No need to thank us.  :angel:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 07:01 PM »
There's still a fair bit about, but most of the smaller parts with packaging will no doubt be display pieces in glass cabinets, on shelves etc, and will probably stay that way.

REMEMBER! nos is not a description of condition!

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 07:30 PM »
For me the problem isn't what it's labeled as .ie NOS or used, the problem is words like "Mint". I can tell you for sure that my idea of Mint is a million miles off what other peoples Mint is for sure.

Mint should mean "Perfect" or "Flawless" but clearly is does not with some people.

I will continue to say a bike is "built with NOS parts" if they are as for me the phrase portrays a "Perfect" build where as saying something is Mint is risky (especially for a buyer) due to peoples differences of opinion.

....so there!!!!  ;D

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 08:19 AM »
I hate stuff in bags ..I have to take it out and use it for the purpose it was intended  :daumenhoch:

fistblump explosion

Right answer Carl. And throw the fookin bag / box away as well  :2funny:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  NOS......really??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx