gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The French Connection! C'est fini!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The French Connection! C'est fini!  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
The French Connection! C'est fini!
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:54 PM »
So with the Free Agent done, it’s time to return to Europe for my next build: a Motobecane MX400:-

I love the lines of these French frames, so when this one popped up for sale on here, I couldn’t resist it despite the lack of og forks. I’ve enough parts on hand to make this a much quicker build than the FA, though I’m going to transfer some of the parts over to speed things up a little bit. :daumenhoch: Colour-wise, I’m going for a bit of blue to match the og decals and keep the French-theme going, but otherwise that’s about it!

Progress pics to follow in due course!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:24 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: The French Connection!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Nice to see something different cool  :daumenhoch:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 11:42 PM »
I have always liked these although I can't believe they were race bikes....the design would lend itself to freestyle so well!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:36 AM »
Well the freestyle scene was well underway by then so maybe they thought they'd kill 2 birds with just the 1 frame! It's certainly a sturdy piece of kit!! :daumenhoch: 
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:47 AM »
Cool frame, I nearly picked one up myself a while back. Seem to remember seeing quite a few with Arx or Trx forks  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 02:05 AM »
Well the freestyle scene was well underway by then so maybe they thought they'd kill 2 birds with just the 1 frame! It's certainly a sturdy piece of kit!! :daumenhoch:

Quite possibly! I would love to see one built as a freestyler! They look kinda like a Dp side on .... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:47 AM »
Nah, this one's going to be a racer! :daumenhoch:  It came with some Tange TX1200 forks, so they'll be staying put, and I'll use the Arayas and seat off the Free Agent with some WIN bars I've got knocking around.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 09:55 AM »
i'm building one of these too at the moment, mines doesn't have the headtube gusset though. mines is going to be a freestyler.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 10:42 AM »
 :4_17_5:   always wanted one of these when i was a nipper  :daumenhoch:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 05:28 PM »
WOW!!  explosion

That's cool - something a bit different.

Look forward to seeing it finished.
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Great stuff. I like french frames. I will have me a sunn superclass or similar at some point.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 05:17 AM »
Nothing much to report on this build at the moment. I've recently bought another frameset from the States, so have taken the opportunity to fill the box with some small parts for other builds including this one. Am therefore waiting on an SR stem. I was also offered these pads:-

Despite being for another model and not intending to run it with v-bars, I was still tempted to buy them until I realized that the frame pad would not match the size and design of the top tube, so that put paid to that idea.

Anyways, I'm planning to get this finished over the summer holidays, so more updates to follow then! :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 08:25 AM »
It looks cool. Something a bit different. It is similar in shape to a dp, and also reminds me of a pr racing  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Nice frame set there.  8)

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 08:55 PM »
nice.. so, Malliard hubs for starters ?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Thanks guys!

nice.. so, Malliard hubs for starters ?

I've already got a set of those but they're lined up for something else! :daumenhoch: I do, however, regret not picking up a nice-looking set of Mavics for this when I had the chance, so will run it with the Arayas from the FA just to get it up and running.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 11:01 PM »
Mick I have a few hands in a few French pots ;)
if you are looking for anything stock for this or owt French let me know and I will keep an eye out  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 01:50 AM »
Mick I have a few hands in a few French pots ;)
if you are looking for anything stock for this or owt French let me know and I will keep an eye out  :daumenhoch:

arigatou gozaimasu. Or should that be merci beaucoup! In any event, cheers me dears! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Have been waiting on this stem, which arrived in a box of other parts the other week:-

With the black and silver top, I've decided to add a bit more black to the blue theme. More pics coming soon! :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Tidy is that... flirted with the idea of getting one of these when they've come up in the past. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 09:58 AM »
The Motobecane’s all but done, so I took it out for a shakedown ride this morning and some initial pics. I like the way it rides but the trouble is I’m not quite feeling the way it looks. :(

The number one problem is the grips. I went for a bit of a blue theme - not too much but enough to accent the decals. I also wanted to use some A’me Tris that I picked up for a previous build but never used. However, as you can see from these first pics, the grips are a brighter shade of blue than the rest of the blue on the bike:-

So my first thought was to lose the grips (they’re only repops) and put some black ones on there instead. However, thinking outside the box, I remembered that I had a white seat floating about and thought I’d see what that looked like, since there’s also some white on the decals plus the back side of the Tioga CD disc is white. It’s not era-correct but doesn't look bad, and I think it detracts from the brightness of the grips. Anyway, here are some pics:-

So Radsters, what do you think looks or would look better - blue grips, black grips, black seat, white seat or a combination thereof?? I should add that I don’t want to spend any more money, so am making do with what I have. :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: The French Connection! Updated with pics - advice required!!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05 AM »
I'm liking that a lot but you are right it looks a little out of sorts.  Blue seat for me, something like a Kashimax MX or an Aero would look good, I'd go for the spider and chaninring set-up rather than the single chainwheel and the front end needs fattening up with a 2.125 tyre to give it some balance.  What bars are they as they seem to have a lot of sweep on them  :-\.  I'd lower the seat too not by much maybe so the seat is level with the crossbar.

Sorry, don't mean to nit-pick I think it's cracking bike  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated! I actually have a blue Kashi MX but it's also the wrong shade plus I'm saving it for another build! Likewise the blue chainwheel I have. The bars are Win pros. :daumenhoch:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 11:24 AM »
I think keep the black seat use black grips and put some blue donuts on them :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 02:17 PM »
I think keep the black seat use black grips and put some blue donuts on them :daumenhoch:

I like that idea - cheap too!! :daumenhoch:  Anyone got any dark blue donuts they want to offload?  :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The French Connection! C'est fini!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx