gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spencer rim and Joy Tech (Jou Yu) hub
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spencer rim and Joy Tech (Jou Yu) hub  (Read 1765 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Spencer rim and Joy Tech (Jou Yu) hub
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Hi guys,

Does anybody have information on Joy Tech hubs by any chance?

I have a pair of Spencer rims and the front came pre-laced on to a NOS blue Joy Tech (Jou Yu '83 stamped) front hub. It is a really nice looking, partially machined high-flange hub. I have had a quick search on them and some threads on BMXMuseum state they were standard issue on some Hutch bikes in the mid-80's?

I have some pish pictures from the eBay ad where I purchased the wheel, and also have found some more detailed reference shots of the hubs themselves.

I'd be quite keen to source a rear to match this if anybody has one going? Otherwise I will probably stick it up on the bay myself.

It was the Spencer rim I was after as I had another (albeit red) orphan loop so I now have a pair  :daumenhoch:

If anybody has a red Spencer rim and wants to swap it for a blue one then please drop me a line!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Spencer rim and Joy Tech (Jou Yu) hub
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I've got a pair of Spencer rims in that colour, the front is laced to the same hub, C83 stamped  :daumenhoch:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:54 AM »
How strange!? I wonder whether they came from the same source in that case? They look fab, apart from that i'm after them in red  :-[

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 11:04 AM »
My front was NOS too, from bankrupt bike parts on the bay, £25 if I remember rightly  :-\

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Yup - that's the one  :daumenhoch:

I haggled with them for ages as it had been selling forever, but they wouldn't budge on price. Then when I found my other rim I just paid what they were asking so I had a pair.

I'd just like to locate a matching rear hub now - they look kinda nice.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I put mine straight on my bike when it arrived, rode great  :daumenhoch:

I tried haggling with them too, but they wouldn't budge, so I just paid the BIN price as I already had the matching rear.

Actually my rear was originally the front rim on my bike, I just built it onto a rear hub. The original front hub was Joy Yu too, and that had been on the bike since it was first built  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spencer rim and Joy Tech (Jou Yu) hub

gfxgfx
gfx gfx