gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Potential Chain Issue!?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Potential Chain Issue!?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Potential Chain Issue!?
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me/put my mind at ease, please!

I took delivery of the Colony Endeavour 2016 model yesterday and I LOVE IT! However, as I'm old at 39 and as such, I have not ridden BMX for almost 20 years!

As luck would have it, I got a puncture on my first time out lol, which has now been resolved! I actually took it very well, given the bars and pedals were only attached no more than 45 mins before!

I then realised that the chain was a LOT shorter than any bikes I've come across before and as such, initially struggled to get it off, but being a NOOB, I spoke to the mechanic at the shop my bike came from and he told me what to do, so I was able to remove the wheel and replace the inner tube  ;D however, and herein I feel lies what be my issue, unless I'm getting paranoid!?

When I backpedal, I feel a vibration in the frame, which I can't remember whether it was there before the puncture or not?! Like I say, the chain a KMC is extremely snug let's say and to remove it, was told to push it towards the bike, and turn the pedals backwards, and to obviously do the same in reverse to put it back and yes, it worked!

I'm just worried that the tension may be out, due to the slight "bumpiness" felt when backpedaling by hand, I can't feel it when riding?

Sorry to be a pain, but I never realised this bikes chain would be so hard to remove/replace!?

Is what I've described, a slight rough feeling to backpedaling normal? The chain was very snug, without more than a 1/2inch of slack in any direction!

Even if you tell me to stop wasting time for asking such a stupid question, or you can tell me I have nothing to worry about, I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks!

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
Re: Potential Chain Issue!?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:53 PM »
when you removed the chain did you loosen off the rear wheel or pushed the chain off the chainring before loosing off..
If you did the later forcing it off you might have stretch the chain in one place .
Like you said you will notice it more peddling it backwards .
I would slightly slack it off for now till it sorts of beds in bud...
To be honest I have fitted a few chains and most tend to do this and will stretch in time..
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:36 PM »
I have no idea what has happened! "nono"
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 08:52 PM »
Chain too tight?

Offline Hood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:14 PM »
Hi,

Thanks to you all for your replys!

I loosened off the new peg I've fitted, and the bolt on the other side, and in pushing the wheel all the way back into the rear stay, the chain could only be removed by the method I was told by the mechanic, which worked a treat!

Not sure if I've stretched it in a certain place, but I had my son hold my back wheel taught whilst I tightened it back up, and yes, I thought it was due to being too tight, and since then, I slackened it off and now there's approx 1/2" of "give" in terms of up and Down!?

The bike itself as I mentioned in BRILLIANT! I'm just worried I've got a knackered chain!?

Hopefully, it will bed itself in the more I ride!?

As long as I've not damaged my bike in terms of the sprocket or hub?

Many thanks for your thoughts/help, I really appreciate it!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Potential Chain Issue!?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx