gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help my brothers , how do you remove the shaft from a tuf neck /pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help my brothers , how do you remove the shaft from a tuf neck /pro  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Ringo starfish

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
All you need is cash

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Clint (oldschoolace), Andy (rooski), Steve (animal), and Spen (spen69) might be able to help you out. Sorry if i've forgotten any of the other usual suspects

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
The best and most effective way is to go to a hardware shop and buy a replacement big bolt thats undrilled. take the old one out and screw the new one in a few threads, then hit it bloody hard and the shaft will come out. you can sit the stem on a couple of blocks of wood and let the shaft hang free below. DON'T use a vice to sit the stem on while you wack it, the vice is steel and will leave marks all along the underside of the stem, even if you use alloy soft jaws, you will still potentially mark the underside of the stem. I know, ive done it!!!!

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
and  explosion - that's how it's done

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Or:

Remove stem bolt and wedge
Loosen Large bolt a good few turns
Put stem in hot oven for 5 - 10 minutes
With oven gloves (or similar) remove stem from oven and carry to work area. Support stem between two blocks of wood (as Jaymz described - with all of his warnings regards not using a vice etc) and tap top of large bolt lightly with stiff rubber (or composite) mallet.
Job done  :daumenhoch:

Re-fitting is kind of inverse. Freeze shaft, warm alloy head. easily fit back together, tighten bolt, and allow to cool.

Principle is: head is alloy, shaft is steel, alloy has higher thermal expansion coefficient than steel - expands more than the steel for a given heat change.

I've done it a few times, has always worked a treat, and i don't end up destroying anything belting my beloved stem to death with a hammer. Also i use one piece of wood, a short length (download your RAD Thesaurus for translation of that one  :)) of 4x2 with a 7/8th's hole drilled in it.

Hope it helps, if not hope the info's good for some others.

P
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Great tips and information there  :4_17_5:

Offline jonnydiezel

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Has anyone done similar with a suntour stem?

I know they don't have a bolt like tuff neck so does that make it more difficult/impossible?

Offline Ringo starfish

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
My brothers of all things rad you've excelled yourselves !,  I love you all !!!!! RINGO x
All you need is cash

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:

I know they don't have a bolt like tuff neck so does that make it more difficult/impossible?

I don't think you can remove a shaft from a Suntour stem!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
+1

I've never seen one removed either.  :)

I don't think you can remove a shaft from a Suntour stem!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
I've removed shafts from interference fitted stems before, question is why do you need to?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline jonnydiezel

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
was thinking if it was possible have a silver one annodised to blue?
but understood that with the steel shaft attached it probably wouldn't work

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
I imagine there would be a way to annodise it with the shaft in. You can't anno steel so it may just be a case of doing the lot. Either that or some sort of masking fluid/tape
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

rodriguez

I imagine there would be a way to annodise it with the shaft in. You can't anno steel so it may just be a case of doing the lot. Either that or some sort of masking fluid/tape

This can and has been done by CCA and Chameleon successfully who masked off the the shaft using tape.

Will make an awful mess of the shaft if it's not done properly though, seen one that hadn't been done properly and the shaft was corroded to fook.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help my brothers , how do you remove the shaft from a tuf neck /pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx