gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway tuff 2 purchase advice needed!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway tuff 2 purchase advice needed!  (Read 1277 times)

Offline catman79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
skyway tuff 2 purchase advice needed!
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:44 AM »
hi all,
im looking at purchasing these original tuff 2's from the states, they are apparently straight and true, spin very freely. looks like the front has had a rebuild at some point as its held together by the nuts and bolts from a rebuild kit. free wheel is missing a tooth and they look a little faded. now im new to the old school thing (bar actually riding them back in the day) just need some advice on what to look for on them, bearings are not sealed, not sure if this is correct? what kind of money should i be paying, and how easy are they to restore? ive added pics below. any halp /advice would be greatly appreciated.
apologies for all the questions, want to make sure i do it right!
thanks in advance
chris.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: skyway tuff 2 purchase advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Looking at the pictures, I am assuming they are blue  ???

To break a tooth on a freewheel is extremely hard to do, so I would say they have had a hard time at one point in their lives. Either that, or someone has tried to remove it somehow and broken the tooth off.

70's, 80's and 90's Tuffs did not run sealed bearings, so these hubs are from the era you want them. The fact the rear is stilled riveted in also states it is early 80's with a freewheel hub, not coaster.

You can bleach them to remove the ground in dirt and then dye them using rit dye, or dylons if you can find it, and spin them in a frame while holding a stanley blade to the edge to remove any worn on brake pad. There is also a process called aqua blasting you can look into.

Price, well, I would say no more than $100 in the condition they are in. Bear in mind, it will be $75 - $80 to post them. You will also be hit with a customs charge if the seller is not willing to mark the declaration form as 'RETURNED GOODS', with a price of $40.

Hope that helps a little  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Old skyways are fragile things. Personally I wouldn't touch those ones, only buy ones you've had in your hands to inspect. They could be cracked somewhere and returning them if they're fooled won't be easy.

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Old skyways are fragile things. Personally I wouldn't touch those ones, only buy ones you've had in your hands to inspect. They could be cracked somewhere and returning them if they're fooled won't be easy.

I agree its not really worth importing them, they are on here or UK ebay for sale all the time for £80 to £150 depending on the condition you want.
If in doubt flat out.

Offline catman79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 10:48 AM »
thanks for the help guys, looking at costings, its probably not worth it, ill keep an eye out on here for some i think.
cheers for the advice

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Some in the for sale section on here now at £80. Get on them!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 10:13 AM »
The rear hub looks like its been retro fitted as the rivet heads all have hammer marks. Give a wide birth

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway tuff 2 purchase advice needed!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx