gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 10:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  HARO SPORT QUESTION....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HARO SPORT QUESTION....  (Read 1398 times)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
HARO SPORT QUESTION....
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:20 PM »
Does anyone happen to know if the 1985/6 Haro Sports which were white over chrome and blue over chrome were originally a chrome frameset which was powdered over or was it just the forks and the rear triangle which was dipped? thanks in advance  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: HARO SPORT QUESTION....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:23 PM »
I have a 86 sport, non wrap round head tube gusset, the frame is all chrome. BUT, it left the factory in 87 as a powdered FST with non chrome forks. I would presume it would be easier to just chrome a whole frame than it would to just chrome the back, did they ever do a an all chrome frame sport from the factory in 85/86

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:26 PM »
I have a 86 sport, non wrap round head tube gusset, the frame is all chrome. BUT, it left the factory in 87 as a powdered FST with non chrome forks. I would presume it would be easier to just chrome a whole frame than it would to just chrome the back, did they ever do a an all chrome frame sport from the factory in 85/86

Yes, they did do a chrome one....which was what got me thinking. The paint seems to chip off those fairly easily too judging by the survivors I have seen, which would make sense. Thanks for that J  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Here's mine, hard to tell from the pics but there's a scrape along the platform where the previous owner checked whether it was chrome or not

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I'm not sure if it will be the same process, but the half chrome/half paint RL's in 84/85 were chrome dipped all over - but it was to do with the finishing of the dipped chrome that differed.

The full chrome finished ones were dipped and then polished all over, but the ones to be part paint/ part chrome were dipped but only polished to the rear triangle/ front forks.

I think it was a cost thing - dipping is cheap, but polishing is time / labour consuming.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07 PM »
No some of them were but not all of them.  I have a few 86s and 1 of them is only half chrome :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:17 PM »
No some of them were but not all of them.  I have a few 86s and 1 of them is only half chrome :daumenhoch:
I'm amazed. I admit I'm no expert on the chroming process but that's got be harder to do than just dump a whole frame in a bath. Although I have heard that skyway bars only the knurling is chrome. That's a whole different level of tricky.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:21 PM »
I'm amazed. I admit I'm no expert on the chroming process but that's got be harder to do than just dump a whole frame in a bath. Although I have heard that skyway bars only the knurling is chrome. That's a whole different level of tricky.
I have three 86s two of them are all chrome frames but the earliest one is only at the ends. 
I have had it back to metal so sure of it.  to the best of my knowledge all of the 87 FST (86 sports) are all chrome frames but the forks are not  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:25 PM »
I have three 86s two of them are all chrome frames but the earliest one is only at the ends. 
I have had it back to metal so sure of it.  to the best of my knowledge all of the 87 FST (86 sports) are all chrome frames but the forks are not  :daumenhoch:
well I have one and I've poked around Nathans and ours are both as you say chrome frame bare metal forks with randomly decals that don't match the frame.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:28 PM »
well I have one and I've poked around Nathans and ours are both as you say chrome frame bare metal forks with randomly decals that don't match the frame.
Exactly - the Blue ones came like that.  Not sure why.  I have had a few of them over the years.  They have all been the same decals on the forks

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:23 PM »
I suppose I should explain my reason for asking a little more. I need a 85 Sport frame and forks in blue over chrome. I have never been a fan of powdering over chrome, which is why I was wondering if that was how the originals were done. I am awaiting news of a blue frameset, but thought if that fell through for whatever reason then buying a chrome one and powdering blue over it might be an option rather than specifically looking for a blue one or rather one which came with powder/chrome finish originally....hope that makes sense?  :idiot2:

Offline 80s bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:31 PM »
My white 85/86 Haro sport is chrome under the OG paint  :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 06:04 AM »
think they chromed the crossbar before welding it to the bars.

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16 PM »
The frame and forks on a 2 tone sport are completely chromed before pain👍

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Paint*

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  HARO SPORT QUESTION....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx