gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 05:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re chroming, cost?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Re chroming, cost?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline catman79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re chroming, cost?
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Hi all, about to embark on the restoration of my 1980 supergoose, I just wondered what kind of price re chroming the frame and forks would cost? Frame and forks have no dents or re welds. And what's the process? Would I have to get it stripped? Or are there companies that will undertake the whole process?
Thanks in advance.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Re chroming, cost?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Whoever you use would probably be able to strip it for about 30 quid. A re-chrome would then cost about £200-250.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46 PM »
As Nick said, whoever does the job should be able to strip it as it involves reversing the chroming process.
How bad is the frame, would it not come up with an Oxyalic acid bath and a good polish?
Where are you based?, I have a chromer in Wembley.
get some pics of the goose up!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline catman79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:20 PM »
im in (not so sunny) norfolk, but get a decent discount through interparcel, so anything is possible! the frame was originally candy red, most has come off and the chrome underneath is pretty good, my main issues are how to get the remainder of the candy red off without damaging the chrome, and im currently missing the forks, only ones i can seem to find are nickel plated, which was why i was considering a full re-chroming of both frame and forks. but i guess i could just chrome the forks, if i can get the frame up nicely.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:27 PM »
just use some paint stripper, it won't affect the chrome  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Remnants of candy red means your frame was originally a 'Team' rather than a 'Super'.

Same frame, but the Team had better parts as standard  :daumenhoch:

Offline catman79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22 AM »
cheers for the advice guys. ill look at giving the frame a good going over first, see if i can get it up to a decent standard. yeah this was originally a team frame, but i always wanted a supergoose as a child, so will reincarnate this as one, well kind of... going to build it to suit my taste, not technically to factory spec. hope it wont make people think any less of me lol.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:54 AM »
any photos of the frame ?

Offline catman79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 11:13 AM »
so this is the frame, chrome isnt in that bad condition to be honest, whats the best process to strip the remainding candy red, and then to polish the chrome, ive heard a Oxyalic acid bath, will help, dont have a clue what that is !. this is my first restoration job and i want to try and do it properly! ive finally landed a set of correct team forks for it, tho thses will need rechroming as they arein a pretty bad state nickle plated and the nickle is peeling off, so also looking for any suggestions as to somewhere i can get the forkes chromed, and a rough cost. sorry for all the questions, im sure there will be several more!
[imghttp://][/img]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:24 PM by catman79 »

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 12:08 PM »
i wouldnt get that re chromed for shit. just apply paint stripper to the left over candy. Possibly redecal as they may peel due to being placed over the top of the OG candy

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 12:11 PM »
There's loads of chromers out there. Some on here have their favourites but suffice to say you get what you pay for. The problem you will have if you clean up your frame and get the forks rechromed is that they will be different colours. And it can be noticeable. As It's a goose I would be tempted to do the frame and forks in nickel. They look right like that.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re chroming, cost?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx