gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re-chrome costs and where to go
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Re-chrome costs and where to go  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Noste500

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Re-chrome costs and where to go
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Bear with me I'm learning ;-)
Bought a mongoose Cali 84 f&f for a build ..and the chrome isn't the best in places .
How much roughly to do f&f ( although my forks arn't as bad as the frame )
Also anywhere in the northwest recommended ?

I suppose other option is powder coat , but not sure I want it without chrome ..;-)
Would I have to have the chrome stripped before powder coating if I went that route ?
And rough cost on this route ??
Thanks in advance .

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Re-chrome costs and where to go
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Im sure you can powder over chrome so you could go back and loads cheaper. Im sure somebody will be along soon with more words of wisdom. :daumenhoch:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32 AM »
You can powder over chrome but if the chrome is bad the powder will show it and it can peel easily. It is cheap to get it stripped properly, not blasted, stripped. Go to the local chromers and they will reverse the process. It's fairly quick and will lend itself to a far better powder job. A full re-chrome frame and forks is anywhere from £250+ The more you pay the better the job.

Cheapest and best option is de-chrome & powder

If you chrome the frame you will need to do the forks as the chrome will be a different colour
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:39 AM »
There's Leigh Metal Polishing in Swinton Mcr if you want it re-chroming and they can also de-chrome it if you go for powder.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:30 AM »
There's Leigh Metal Polishing in Swinton Mcr if you want it re-chroming and they can also de-chrome it if you go for powder.  :daumenhoch:

Leigh Metal Polishers have done LOADS for me, and are excellent. Speak to John on 0161 728 4325. Turnaround time is usually about 8-12 weeks - sometimes less for smaller items. The cost to strip, prep and re-chrome a frame is approximately £140-£300, depending on where you go and how much prep work is needed. Before you give your frame to anyone, make sure they know exactly what you want, and make sure they know not to polish out serial numbers/stamps etc. No need to hammer this home with John @ Leigh Metal Polishers, as they are spot on and do loads of classic bikes/car parts. Here's one they did for me earlier (as they say on Blue Peter). Absolutely flawless. Frame is now owned by another forum member Retrodan.

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 11:10 AM »
That chrome doesn`t look flawless to me, you can see a camera in it  :LolLolLolLol:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline Noste500

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Thanks a bunch fellas ;-)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re-chrome costs and where to go

gfxgfx
gfx gfx