gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome Platers London
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrome Platers London  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Knoxxy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Chrome Platers London
« on: September 02, 2015, 01:20 PM »
I heard from Dave at Allenchrome that he not taking in work at the moment due to a pending back op.
Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

I have a hitch 24" that I need chroming.
Any recommendations?
I'm in London.

Knoxxy.

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: Chrome Platers London
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Leigh metal polishers in Swinton, Salford are top notch. They do all my chroming, apart from the VDC that was done by Allenchrome. Ask for John - tel 0161 7284325. They did my old Hutch Pro Racer (now owned by Retrodan). You can ask him - the finish is amazing
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:30 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I have nothing but praise for Capital Chroming - used to be London Chroming.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,181888.msg1826751.html#msg1826751

I used most in London / Essex. You need to pop in and talk to them, convince yourself their good, and really let them know what your looking for. I sent some stuff to one well promoted chromer in Essex who was useless and took ages to turn stuff around. Chrome flaked off after a few months. Others haven't liked London Chroming as well, but they've done their best on my bits.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Don't be put off by the thought of spending £15 each way to get stuff posted. You'd spend that travelling to some good chroming places if they're not down the road from you. Back in the days of using custom colour anodising re finishing my/other peoples bike parts, it was an 80 mile round trip for me to get there, but well worth the time & money. Most decent chromers who are used to classic
Bike/car parts should know to preserve serial numbers and to get into those hard to reach bb/seat stay areas, but always make it clear to them before you let them have your parts. Hockley chrome in Southend did some alloy parts for me and the results were excellent, but i know a few radsters who've had issues with them. You have a few choices now, but there must be some other good ones closer to you. Hopefully you'll get a few more suggestions  :daumenhoch:

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Has anyone used RCJ Metal Finishers in Hoddeson?
This place is one the same rd i work, thinking about having a look.
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

Offline solow79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Has anyone used RCJ Metal Finishers in Hoddeson?
This place is one the same rd i work, thinking about having a look.

I stopped in there at the beginning of the year to getting some cranks priced up. They said to come back in a couple of months due to work load. I forgot about the cranks and keep meaning to go back. They seemed to be pretty good and sounded like they know what theyre doing.. Loads of pics of classic cars new chromework if I remember rightly.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 09:02 AM »
I'm about to pick up 4 x super pro hoops and hubs from RCJ.  They have taken a VERY long time, but i was in no rush.  Watch this space.  I'll give an honest opinion when i have my stuff back :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06 AM »
Andy, you don't happen to know if Leigh polishers do copper do you?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Andy, you don't happen to know if Leigh polishers do copper do you?

I don't know Clint. Best to give them a ring. John's the man to speak to

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Well, I've collected them. I dropped them off on the 21st April. Was told it would be a 6-8 week turnaround...had to do a bit of chasing up over the last month or so, but they finally got round to doing them.  Had a quick look at them before I left for work, and I must say they are very good. Nice thick triple chrome. Two of the hubs and hoops were very pitted, had a fair few gouges out of them, so required a lot of polishing. I didn't hold out much hope for these. I'm very impressed with the finished result however.

The suzue stamping on a couple of hubs is no longer visible (not too fussed as it will be covered by a Peregrine decal anyway). I did mention about trying to save the stamping over the phone (I forgot when I initially dropped them off) but I've been so busy recently I didn't think about reminding them and just wanted the things done.

Overall, They have turned out better than expected. Rims are almost mint. I will post up comparison pics later if I get time.

Nice, knowledgeable people to deal with, but I don't think small jobs take priority. Decent quality of work.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Ok chaps, here are some before and after pics. I've given each one a proper inspection, and to be fair, I don't think i could have expected any better.  There are a few minor blemishes that can still be seen on the worst rims and hubs, but the others look pretty much new:

These were the worst hubs, lots of nasty scrapes and pitting:

These were the good ones:

These were the worst rims before:

And the four rims after:

Not a bad result, i'm sure you'll agree.  They stated that they couldn't guarantee their work or how well they would last, because chroming aluminium is a tricky process, as the chrome and the alloy react as the alloy oxidises.  Time will tell.

I paid £30 a rim and about £12 a hub plus VAT. :daumenhoch:

Offline solow79

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 09:15 PM »
Those rims look pretty good. Ive got a set I might chuck in there. The profiles and GT profiles ive got im a bit scared if as ive seen pics(not from rcj) of the stamps being polished out.

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Cheers Laidback thats been a real help fella think i might give them a go  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome Platers London

gfxgfx
gfx gfx