gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?  (Read 54012 times)

jeff spicoli

Re: how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2006, 05:53 PM »
Oh dear where do you start digging?

gill.b

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2006, 06:21 PM »
i know exactly where it is.............

jeff spicoli

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Can you believe that they filled it in?

gill.b

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2006, 06:33 PM »
i have just visited middle-age-shred.com and have downloaded a pic of some of the tiles that 'Harvey 73' collected. Who is Harvey 73...........the only person I can think of is Rodga but i dont know how he could come by such a thing???????

I remember skating the rez through a narrow channel with piles of dirt either side......flat bottom intact. the pool was rad, but the rez was the best bowl ever madde in England. Forever carving counterclockwise....stuff of legends. It would be worth it if only for the rez. simon.
P.S. will post 'bluetile' pic later.

trill

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2006, 08:01 PM »
if a few people interested turn up at rom on sunday we can discuss things then .hopefully one of us would've spoken 2 someone at gillingham council by then and we'd know a bit more

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2006, 08:17 PM »
Can you believe that they filled it in?

I've not seen pics of this place in years and I'll never understand why. To use the land for a good cause maybe . . . but for a poxy lawn / temp car park . . . >:(

Steve

Jim

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Always the way  :-\ Especially when a official bodies have the knives out for something. These guys have the connections to pour cold water on almost anything. If individuals were to approach the Black Lion people in view to breathing new life into the old girl, it might be an idea to hook up with the peeps who sorted the regeneration of Harrow out to get some pointers on how best to approach the right folk. I know certain parts of Harrow still existed, thus maybe making their task a little easier, but the stubborness of council types cannot be underestimated. They like stuff done a certain way... ::)

Jim

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2006, 08:27 PM »
btw - I'm sure one of the rom lads said he saw Rodga Harvey @ Hayle last weekend... I'll ask. As fer a chat @ Rom, I'm up for that. We owe it to our selves and 'tha kidz' to ressurect the old school! The more pools the better  :)

trill

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2006, 08:49 PM »
by the sounds of it there many riders/skaters that r v.interested in getting her back 2 former glory. theres a coupla old school skaters round my area who r working with another council over a seperate skatepark project who would love 2 be involved as they used 2 skate it often.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2006, 08:58 PM »
If it`s going to be done then some new school type ramps will be required too  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Here's how to get the park dug up for free. ( nearly).  Buy an old victorian medal or something from Ebay.  Take it to Gillingham Museum and say you found it while looking for worms right at the skatepark area.

Before you know it, there'll be 15 school teacher/arty archiologist types round there with their beards, cardigans and trowels, digging up the place looking for relics.  When they find one of Glyyn Lewis's mushroom grips, they can claim it was dinner for a prehistoric monster with one huge leg and fangs who used to roam around that area frightening all the kids... Quite accurate really :LolLolLolLol:

"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

trill

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2006, 09:09 PM »
yer, a couple of quarters,wallride,spine etc.. theres a bit of room 2 the left of were the pool is.

gill.b

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2006, 09:47 PM »
ok who mentioned lewis..........blue skies, perfect x-up...........classic gillingham.......keep the spirits up.Simon

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Awesome pic . . . keep 'em coming Simon  :daumenhoch:

Steve

madall

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Glyn was the baddest and Raddest to ever ride Gillingham, its such a pitty he's not involved in riding anymore, pure smoothness on ramps

trill

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2006, 07:55 PM »
cool pic,proper 80's bowl ridin.

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2006, 06:40 PM »
I loved riding the place during the summer holidays back in the day.  We used get the train from Swanley and stay all day.  I be up for gettin the place up and runnin again :daumenhoch:
Neil

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2006, 07:10 PM »
If you're all serious about this I may be able to offer some advice.  Are there any other facilities in the immediate area?

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2006, 07:20 PM »
I'm still serious . . . let's get this place open again and if it fails . . . at least we tried  :daumenhoch:

There's a leisure complex nearby, playing field with football pitches . . . local residents too which were a problem in the 1st place

Steve

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Sorry fella, bad communication by me.....  i meant any skatepark/ramp facilities nearby...... oops....

As for neighbours, When was the place backfilled?  I'll bet it was a while ago. I'll also bet that the reason was probably a health and safety one.  Both are issues that can be dealt with  :-)

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2006, 07:31 PM »
To my knowledge no other skateparks or ramps are in the immediate area

Not sure when it was back filled and I'm pretty sure a local resident kicked up about noise pollution which prompted closure  :idiot2:

Steve

MeddlE

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Your nearest skateparks are Gravesend, Rom, Sittingbourne and Maidstone.  Not aware of anything closer, maybe a current local rider knows better?

trill

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2006, 08:34 PM »
if there's nothink close that should work in our favour. apprantly the guy that runs revoloution park in broadstairs was interested in diggin it up not 2 long ago i'll give him a call see what he has 2 say.

MeddlE

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Should add that the nearest free parks are Maidstone and Gravesend, Sittingbourne and the legend that is Rom are both privately run.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2006, 10:13 PM »
so what about the council. They must have a say in this. I guess you'll need to speak to the guy in charge of parks and leisure  or something. tell him that they really need a facility for bikes, boards and in line skaters.  Frighten him by tell him the cost of building a proper concrete park, and then explain how it can all be done is a fraction of the cost, and they have a great park already. He'll look good that he's done his job in providing facilities.  The Show him the interest ( a petition from rad memebers would be a good start). Get them councillors on your side, and it'll be easy. If they're not on your side, they'll be a right pain in the hole.

Where's our fav councillor Eileen Mckerrow when you need her?

Hopefuly all the neighbours that complained in the 80's are either dead, moved or now hard of hearing
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx