gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 04:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  PK Ripper -Frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PK Ripper -Frames  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Lee-mk2

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
PK Ripper -Frames
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what frame size options were available for the PK Ripper. Mainly interested in the earlier ones ie. pre 80 / 80-85 / 85 -90's.

Any info appreciated.
Cheers
Lee

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: PK Ripper -Frames
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06 AM »
kungfunky [Ash] will be along shortly to fulfil you SE requirements

griff

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:02 AM »
don't have it to hand, but geometry for all of them up to 84 (loopy rippers) is the same
think the TT is about 18.5" but someone will no doubt be along shortly to confirm -

more recent ones will have longer options (XL etc) but as I'm only 5'8" I can ride mine sitting down with a straight post no probs  :daumenhoch:

Offline Lee-mk2

• Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Cheers for the replies, from memory I thought that the earlier (up to 84/85) were all the same frame size - although maybe a mini option was available too - and that the XL, XLL etc were much latter (after my time) but maybe the years have clouded my memory.

Another quick question - what's peoples views on using the old frames, being that they suffered cracking when new given the passage of time and associated fatigue should the early frames be rendered display pieces? I have always felt that things should be used but in this case, maybe that's not true?

griff

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Cheers for the replies, from memory I thought that the earlier (up to 84/85) were all the same frame size - although maybe a mini option was available too - and that the XL, XLL etc were much latter (after my time) but maybe the years have clouded my memory.

Another quick question - what's peoples views on using the old frames, being that they suffered cracking when new given the passage of time and associated fatigue should the early frames be rendered display pieces? I have always felt that things should be used but in this case, maybe that's not true?

there were mini rippers for sure (but I don't think 'PK' was used on any other sized looptail frames)
common areas for cracking are around the seat stay/seat tube (mine had a hairline crack apparently but since Sawzall was the guy that sorted it you would never know)
as far as using it goes - like any frame 30+ years old it won't probably want to get ridden too hard, but for general dicking about is plenty strong enough. I wouldn't advise using a layback post in one though!

griff

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:56 AM »
welcome to  :radbmxsmilie: by the way Lee  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Loopy PK's ie 79-84 only had just over 19" tt with a 72degree headtube angle. 85 was a straight stay one year only model. After that when you get to the XL with a TT of just over 20" and ht angle of 74, this gives you around 1-1 1/2" extra wheel base length.
Yes there are Mini Rippers at 17" and 73 ht(Looptail 80-84). No mini Ripper pre 80 as it was called the BD-III for 78 and DBIV for 79.

As for weak spots as mentioned. Behind the bb, seat mast and brake bridge (particularly the 79 pre serials which a lot were the thin version) and the drop outs which is why SE made specific dropout savers for the PK (which only came in black).
 :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline Lee-mk2

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Cheers for the welcome and the information!

Over the last couple of weeks my views have changed numerous times of how it should look.
Initially I fancied a polished frame but keep being drawn to the idea of painted / powder coated - does it seem wrong to paint a good polished frame? maybe that would depend on if it was old school or something newer?

griff

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Cheers for the welcome and the information!

Over the last couple of weeks my views have changed numerous times of how it should look.
Initially I fancied a polished frame but keep being drawn to the idea of painted / powder coated - does it seem wrong to paint a good polished frame? maybe that would depend on if it was old school or something newer?

mate - is entirely your shout on what you do with it - nowadays there are just as many people who prefer a 'survivor' original frame as a restored one.

if restoring - decide whether to go for a factory OG finish or a custom colour? have a look in the museum section for some inspiration http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4579.0.html

then whether to go for powder or paint? Powder is more durable for a rider, but paint (being thinner) will show off those lovely weld details more...

If it's any consolation, even after I got my frame I spent months trying to work out exactly which colour I wanted - in the end though it was worth it & I'm still happy with my choice.

Have you found a F&F already? Or just shopping around? Best advice I could offer you is to take your time as much as you can, do your research and figure out what's right for you. It's a tough choice as Rippers tend to look good in nearly any colour  :D
Oh yes - and if you do get it sprayed, get SBD to do it  :daumenhoch:
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56789.0.html

Offline Lee-mk2

• Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.
It is something I have been thinking about for some time and am now pretty certain I will start doing it.  As I said I have a few ideas of what I want to do. I can see this being a dangerous thing to get into as I have two different themes running through my mind and am already thinking that I need to build two!

As much as I would like to go down the genuine old school route I am starting to thing about using one of the new retro frames as a basis.

griff

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 02:46 PM »

Offline Lee-mk2

• Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 03:00 PM »
That could apply to most of my interests too - I must drive my wife mad!

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Bit like my man cave but that's full of PK's  :)
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  PK Ripper -Frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx