gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 06:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  My lads 93 Mongoose Menace school holiday hacker...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My lads 93 Mongoose Menace school holiday hacker...  (Read 1474 times)

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
My lads 93 Mongoose Menace school holiday hacker...
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Long story short,ashamed to say my 15 year old lad never learnt to ride a bike,despite me trying when he was young,he was never interested,always wanted to play football instead,which he still loves doing.
Anyway,now all his mates are riding their bikes and he feels left out,so he wants to ride.
He goes on YouTube and watches a few videos ,I give him my 1980 Supergoose to practice on,and 3 sessions later,with no coaching from me,he can ride.
Of course now he wants a bike,and says he wants a BMX as that's what he learnt on.
So I hit up ebay for BMX bikes for sale locally and this comes up

All I know is it's a Midschool Mongoose,looks all there and has a few oldschool components,so I think I can get it up and running.
The guy wants £100 or best offer,after a few offers going to and fro,and after posting it up on the a Facebook group page on FB and being ridiculed,I buy it anyway for £85.
Go and collect and it's in pretty decent nick,it was the blokes sons bike and had been in the shed for years gathering dust.
Get it home and put the bars on and the seatpost up,now it starts to look like a bike...

It really is in great nick,just a few chips in the paint.
So into the man cave I go,replace the inner tubes and put a pair of fat/thin repop comp 3s on and new brake cables.
Only major thing wrong was the front hub had no bearings in it,so I get a spare hub out the cave,take the bearings out and rebuild the front hub axle.
Check all the moving parts,a bit of tightening and fettling,a good clean with a rag and we are done.
So now he is rolling,here is the finished bike.
A bit of internet digging and I think it's a 93 Mongoose Menace.
Pretty much all parts are original to the bike,except the front wheel which is a steel Araya 7x lookalike,Skyway EZ mark 2 bars and Ame Bubble font Rounds.
Pretty nice bike really for £85 and a refreshing change from overpriced oldschool bikes.
A very satisfying build as my lad is already enjoying it riding about with his mates,which is what it's meant for.....

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: My lads 93 Mongoose Menace school holiday hacker...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46 AM »
These are great riders, with a bit of work they can look proper, this was mine

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Liking those  :daumenhoch:

rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Great job   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  My lads 93 Mongoose Menace school holiday hacker...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx