gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New Project: 1982 Torker MX
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Project: 1982 Torker MX  (Read 2216 times)

Offline CurtisEXP

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
New Project: 1982 Torker MX
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Picked this up yesterday from the original owner who bought the bike when he lived in the US back in the early eighties. His dad apparently took him into a shop and said 'have whatever you like!' Really top fella, he gave me some of the history of the bike and thinks his dad may even have the original receipt; he's going to try to track it down  :daumenhoch:

All original as he had it bitd: Hutch ladder bars, Shot Gun II seat, Redline forklifter stem, alloy hub Skyway Tuff II, MX1000s (one modified!), Sugino OPC, etc.   

I took off one of the original Mushroom grips and found a 5 cent coin in the bottom! I think they used them to stop the bars cutting the ends of the grips, as the coin is the same diameter as the bars!
The coin was dated 1982 - the same year as the bike  :)

Given the history, this is definitely going to be a survivor - oxy bath, re-grease and a rebuild.

I will keep you posted.

Love this….

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: New Project: 1982 Torker MX
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Nice find.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Rad!.

In2bmx

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Great find  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:05 PM »
How cool is that!   :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 06:37 PM »
is that the one from gaybay??nice grab,i was so tempted,hope you can do it justice :daumenhoch:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Great find and awesome to get so much history with it, should clean up nice  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 08:15 PM »

That will look great.  :)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 10:39 PM »
Cool stuff
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline CurtisEXP

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:54 PM »
is that the one from gaybay??nice grab,i was so tempted,hope you can do it justice :daumenhoch:

Yes, it was from the bay. Some nice parts - the Shot Gun II seat was a good surprise!

The bike was bought in Tampa, Florida in 81/82 he said. The serial number makes it an 82. The date of the coin, assuming it was put in when it was built up, corroborates the story - the Mushroom grips are apparently original. Everything on the bike is as it was built. His brothers both chose Redlines when their dad took them all BMX shopping! They both still have them from new  :daumenhoch:

I just like the story and the history so I am going to build it up as it is and make it my rider. It might not be my colourway but to change anything fundamental would seem wrong. Agree?!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 12:41 AM »
Bloodyhell those kids were lucky!!! That's a great find! If you're building it up as your rider, I personally wouldn't be too worried about changing the colourway, though you could always build it up as it/was first of all, then change the colours and even some of the parts later on. In any case, keep us posted!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New Project: 1982 Torker MX

gfxgfx
gfx gfx