gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Barnehurst old race track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Barnehurst old race track  (Read 4136 times)

Howser

Barnehurst old race track
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Evening chaps,
                       Whilst out and about today, I was very near to the old Barnehurst race track which was our local race track bitd.

The track holds great memories of early 80's bmx for me so I managed to persuade my wife & daughter to park up and go see if anything is still visible of the old track. It's very over grown but some parts of where the old track was is still visible. The shapes of 2 berms are still there and the starting hill was accessible. It looked like some of the metal work for the starting gates was still in the ground.

There was a trodden/ridden down path from the start gate round the first couple of berms until the track is then lost to wildlife - Maybe some fellow old schoolers also having a trip down memory lane  ;)

I took some pictures of what was left of the old track and hope you enjoy seeing them - Thanks  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:01 PM by RATTY »

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Barnehurst old race track
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Me and Mrs Ratty popped over there with the kids about 6 years ago. Josh managed to spread his nose over some of it :uglystupid2:

Its crying out to be restored.....
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:18 AM »
I went over there about ten years ago, talked to a few local rider which said whenever they try to dig there the council knock it down the next day.

What was the name of the bloke that sold mars bars from the back of his Granada ?

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29 AM »

What was the name of the bloke that sold mars bars from the back of his Granada ?

Jimmy Tarbuck.   ??? :-\
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Love these old track threads :daumenhoch:

Howser

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:13 PM »
The Council don't seem to be doing anything with the land - it's just overgrown and best described as waste land now. It was a bit sad to see it looking like that and I agree it should be restored - the land should be put to good use. Get the local kids out on their bikes and exercising instead of sitting indoors playing electrical stuff  :).    Can't see the Council spending a penny on it though - they can't even afford to fill in the potholes in the roads !

I read an article about the track a few years ago that a local group tried to get support and lobby the Council to open up the track again but sadly it didn't come to anything  :'(.      If I win the lotto this week I'll buy it and re-open it  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:04 PM »
Drove past there the other day and glanced over.  Keep meaning to have a walk over to the track.  A track with small jumps, but the racing was always fun  :)
Neil

Offline Lee-mk2

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:28 PM »
I realise this is an old/dead thread but being new here I have only just found it! Both good and a little sad to see the pics, I remember spending plenty of time there in the early 80's. We still live close by and often walk across the field but I have not looked at the old track in ages.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I was there when it was just spikes in the ground with tape marking the route of the track.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Barnehurst old race track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx