gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 01:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Parts that failed you BITD
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Parts that failed you BITD  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
Parts that failed you BITD
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:40 PM »
What bits and bobs failed you BITD ..
My list if I remember was..
Three ultra burner frames  ( two mark ones and other mark two)
Three araya 7c two rear and one front..
My brother tuff burner front tuff wheel hub failed.
Three sets of the Gold v shaped ultra burner gold bars the last straw was to get shot of this bike was when it failed resulting in a trip to hospital as the snapped bar end took a chunk out of my shoulder..
My rear suntour blue high flange hub failed on my rebel pro just after jumping 6 large oil barrels on a home made ramp still got the scar ::)
Still got my original bike with a non matching gold rear hub which reminds me of this.. :D

So what failed you and the aftermath if any..
 :radbmxsmilie:
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Parts that failed you BITD
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Skyway rear hub collapsed, rivets fell apart .
1980 Mitygoose frame, snapped were the top tube meets the seat mast tube jumping large traffic cones with a homemade ramp.
Coaster brake locking on in mid air jumping off a high kerb, spun the pedal backwards into my left shin, still got that scar.
riding downhill double breasted no handed, handlebars twisted around, fell off and my head hit the Stermey archer hub chain on my mates Grifter, had concussion and a couple of stitches for that one.
That was more a failure on my part not the bike.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:24 PM by snoopy72 »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Oh I cringed when your said your head hit the mini chain on the hub..
Bloody lucky..
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 07:10 PM »
There was a guy I knew at our local woods called Daz, where years of digging out jumps and a track formed , he was a really good rider BITD, he was doing a table top on a redline at it was proper high and I think he rode a Proline, The frame snapped on landing and also his leg,  it took months with one of those leg cages with the pins, the only problem was when his leg healed and they removed the pins in was about 1/2 shorter than the other and he never walked the same again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:36 PM by snoopy72 »

In2bmx

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Suntour VX cranks ! Rounded at least 5 sets before i had Redline flights .

Alloy cranks  .. Not good for racing or jumping !!

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Piranha Freestyler frame - cracked
Fox 4 Styler frame - cracked
Suntour stem cap - cracked (over tightened a bolt)

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Snapped a set of Laser bars
Cracked a Hutch Pro Racer frame
Broken the teeth off a Suntour rear sprocket

griff

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Z rim spokes, my fault for copying that advert  :teef:

Brake bridge welds on silver fox through too many back hops

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 08:46 PM »
GT frames x2, peugeot vitus frames x2, diamond back pro bars, GT mallet stems x2
DB Turbo cranks, countless profile arms, countless shimano dx's, araya 7x's, peregrine axles, '93 Haro forks, GT 4pc bars, TNT seatclamp, S&M dirtbike frame, slam bars, shimano freewheels, shimano dx levers, victor pedals.
All a load of bobbins!

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:59 PM »
GT frames x2, peugeot vitus frames x2, diamond back pro bars, GT mallet stems x2
DB Turbo cranks, countless profile arms, countless shimano dx's, araya 7x's, peregrine axles, '93 Haro forks, GT 4pc bars, TNT seatclamp, S&M dirtbike frame, slam bars, shimano freewheels, shimano dx levers, victor pedals.
All a load of bobbins!
Would have taken some to break a shimano DX  pedal, I could see a victor failing though

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I had the same issue with the rear Skyway coaster hubs and the rivets breaking. I done 2 of those. The cones tightening and crushing the rear alloy hub on my white Skyway.

Dia-Compe hinged seat clamps, they were terrible for snapping. There best use was for coaster tabs  :daumenhoch:

I broke MX1000 callipers, Tech 3 and pre bent levers, busted a few Suntour XCII cages, cracked the gusset both sides on my Pro Burner frame, snapped a OGK spoke, snapped a Suntour stem, busted untold seats, bent a few laid back post and handlebars.

A good friend of mine, Andy, had a Stratton Aero as his first bike. Before the races started at Shoreham when you could have a few practice laps, he tried to do a  massive air off the tabletop and when he landed, the front rim collapsed, and the copy Suntour stem snapped off the shaft and he landed on the shaft ripping his chest open, and getting a facial from the stones in the dirt. It was not good, but luckily the Ambulance crew were close by. Shoreham was terrible for the stones  :(
BANNED

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Remember a mate of mine snapping his VDC freestyle bars in mid air over the tabletop at Poole track.
Only things I ever broke were free wheels cos I was so smooooooooooth :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Snapped a set of Laser bars
Cracked a Hutch Pro Racer frame
Broken the teeth off a Suntour rear sprocket

LOL ... so know that frame  ::)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Aeroyal seats, never had one, but most of my mates did, they always cracked on the top.

How many of us had a go on our mates bikes and got our scrotums pinched in said crack, while wearing short shorts, in the Summer of '84.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:32 PM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 10:29 PM »
All a load of bobbins!
Would have taken some to break a shimano DX  pedal, I could see a victor failing though

You're kidding me! I've broke at least 4 dx's, always snap at the axle taper, and always a bad crash and the tearing of flesh. Never a warning, just snap. Last one riding street in Doncaster, 2004. Never putting faith in 'em ever again.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Z rims, had a blue set on Z hubs but got so fed up with every bugger doing the advert that i swapped them for Blue Tuffs

Landar CW copy bars, constantly slipped in the stem until you over tightened it and crimped them  >:(

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Aeroyal seats, never had one, but most of my mates did, they always cracked on the top.

How many of us had a go on our mates bikes and got our scrotums pinched in said crack, while wearing short shorts, in the Summer of '84.  :daumenhoch:
Yes your right Dan they did pinch your skin.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Snapped a rear black ally Tuff 2 bunnyhopping up the local shop steps. Nothing massive but I was doing about Mach2 and miss - judged it. Snapped my chain as the wheel yanked backwards out the drop-outs and I flew over my GT Pros :buck2:

20 years later my local bike shop still had it hanging on the wall behind the till when my brother went in there looking for o/s bits - only one skyway had replaced under warenty apparently with them :2funny:
Still limping......

Offline Christhejob

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Remember a mate of mine snapping his VDC freestyle bars in mid air over the tabletop at Poole track.
Only things I ever broke were free wheels cos I was so smooooooooooth :daumenhoch:
I had a pair of those go at the welds dropping off a wall. Nice jagged rusty metal end, luckily missed my chest...

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 06:39 PM »
FLAT BRAKE BRIDGES!!! snapped it off on my viceroy and robbo,to many frame stands was the culprit,both were welded back on but rough as a witches tit :-[
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Not a right lot bitd, I bent plenty of wheels but most were recoverable.
I bent a couple of one-piece cranks, and snapped some CW cruiser bars on the start gate, quite a few chains and a few chainring bolts, maybe broke a lever or 2 crashing...

I've broken way more as an adult  >:D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Parts that failed you BITD

gfxgfx
gfx gfx