gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Addicks chain rings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Addicks chain rings  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Addicks chain rings
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:55 AM »
Not sure if this should be in here or the Tech section but when I was in Tokyo at the weekend I spotted an interesting-looking albeit non-bmx bike shop down a side street (where you normally find the best ones), so popped in for a browse. As well as new bikes, they also sold some older stuff and there were lots of glass cabinets rammed with various road bike parts, amongst which I spied some coloured chain rings which the owner kindly let me have a closer look at. I couldn't read the stamping but they were made of plastic and looked very much like Addicks ones to me. There were 3 of them, all 44t and all NOS. I don't think they were for sale as they were in a locked display cabinet but it got me wondering whether anyone has ever used Addicks chain rings, and if so, how did they hold up? Cheers! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Addicks chain rings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Yes heape of pros bitd used them in the late 70's and they held up really well. One of the most powerful riders Stompin Stu used them for a few years and never had any real problems. If they're a good price buy them, also look to see if he has Addicks chain rings and the correct Addicks bolts too... Ohh and get some pics of that display cabinet  "wantit"
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Didn't they make seat clamps from nylon too?

What was the thinking behind them, weight saving?

Jono has an Addicks chain ring on his STR-1 rep

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:26 AM »
a few bits they made

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:43 AM »
I had an Addicks chainring (and seat clamp) on my Champion.  Great chainrings, I love them.

I also have a prototype Addicks front hub on my R&R.

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:07 AM »
I used them BITD (and now) and they work well. They will loose teeth eventually though but normally from being manhandled off of the bike.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Thanks for all the info and pics guys. That's a real history lesson for me as I'd seen the chain rings and seat post clamps before, but never any of those other parts!! If my memory serves me well, the ones I saw in the shop were red, blue and yellow. I would be tempted by a black one if the price was right (though I kind of got the impression that it would be right for the owner, not for me!!) but haven't a bike that those colours would go well with. I might pop in for another look though, as and when I'm back that way! :D

Thanks again! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52 AM »
Posting this here for future reference, I've found some more chainring info and a few pics here:-

http://oldschool-bmx-parts.blogspot.jp/1976/01/addicks-chainring.html

Plus some info and pics of some of the other Addicks parts here:-

http://oldschool-bmx-parts.blogspot.jp/search?q=Addicks

Sorted! :)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I'll post a photo of an Addicks sponsored 70's speed machine later  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Addicks chain rings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx