gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ecko helmet custom paint job (1994 Hyper Racing Tribute Helmet).
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ecko helmet custom paint job (1994 Hyper Racing Tribute Helmet).  (Read 4344 times)

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
This is a bit of a random one as its not bike related, but as it is BMX related I thought I would post it up in here.

Long story short I recently got my hands on a set of team issue Hyper Racing kit from 1994. I was a big fan of Eric Carter back in the day, and as I have a Hyper Metro from the same year, I was really excited to get my hands on the matching kit. With the bke and the kit the only missing piece of the puzzle was the custom painted helmet that Eric and the rest of the team used to race in. I always loved the custom paint jobs the pro's of the 90's had on their Ecko helmets, so decided to try my hand at creating a helmet to match the kit.

NB: This was just done with spray cans, and all materials used were purchased from my local Halfords so its a pretty easy thing for anyone to do.

The man himself wearing the kit and one of the custom helmets. Taking inspiration for the helmet he used, as well as the pattern on the race jersey I decided to give it a go.

I started out with this Ecko helmet that I bought from the USA (Dont panic it wasnt a real Hutch lid!)  :daumenhoch:

After stripping it back the helmet was in OK shape. There was paint peel that had been covered up by the Hutch stickers, and I also needed to remove all of the visor studs as I was going to use a Troy Lee Intrepid peak like Eric Carter did.

I drilled out all of the visor studs I didnt need, and filled them with car body filler. I then sprayed the helmet down with white primer, before sanding the whole thing back. I had to do this about 5 or 6 times before the whole thing was smooth and ready to paint.

After that I took a pencil and drew the design onto the helmet. I took inspiration from the swirling lines on the race jersey, and tried to replicate that onto the helmet. Once all the lines were drawn, I used masking tape to cover the areas I didnt want the first colours to go on to.

Finally I was able to put down the first few coats of colour (it had taken ages to get to this stage). The jersey had a black fade to white, so that is what I did on the helmet. After finishing the fade I sprayed metal flake over the whole thing.

I then peeled back the masked areas which started to give me my first look at the design. Once the paint had dried I had to revers mask the entire helmet again so that I could paint the colours onto the white areas.

The jersey had a fade from pink to yellow, so I used off the shelf luminous yellow and pink rattle cant to try replicate the same thing. I also tried to keep the one side of the helmet different from the other, so had to paint one side at a time, once again masking the side I didnt want to get overspray on.

Once the colours had dried I could pull off all the masking and paint the purple line work. This was by far the hardest part, and getting clean lines was almost impossible. There were points during the line work that I almost packed it in because I was really struggling to get clean lines, but I got there in the end. In the pic above you can see how rough the incomplete lines are. it took ages to smooth them all out.

After all the lines were finished I did about 6 or 7 coats of clear enamel. All the different layers of colour, as well as the metal flake had made the surface very rough so it needed a lot of coats to smooth it all out and bring up a glossy shine.

After that all that was left to do was reassemble the helmet and apply the decals that the legend Del has done for me.  :smitten:
Now that its done I really enjoyed the whole process, and would definitely like to do a few more to go with other builds of mine. Its quite expensive to do when you count the cost of all the materials, but its very rewarding when you see it finished.

Below is a pic of the finished helmet with the team kit and the team issue GPR number plate. I also added a few other angles of the helmet for you all to see.

***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Turned out well Jon  :daumenhoch:

How many hours did it take?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Top job! I used to have one of those tops when I had my metro XL

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Very impressive :daumenhoch:

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
Cheers guys.  :daumenhoch:

Turned out well Jon  :daumenhoch:

How many hours did it take?

Im not sure how many hours it was but I did work on it (on and off) for about 8 weeks. Id put in a few hours each weekend, and a bit of time on week nights if I could. If I was to do another one I think I could probably finish it in 5 days though, but that would be 5 full days so still quite a long time.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Excellent job, Jon. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
That's awesome Jon... excellent work.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Awesome Jon

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
Cheers for the kind words guys.  :daumenhoch:
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

Very talented, like it

Offline Bobby

• Curb Endo
  • Going up yonder
  • Rated:
Re: Ecko helmet custom paint job (1994 Hyper Racing Tribute Helmet).
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Top job  :daumenhoch:
Real men play vinyl

Offline wilsey72

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Thats corn that is.
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Very impressive, looks great.
 :4_17_5:
GLOUCESTER RIDE 28th July 2018

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Stirling work there mate, proper effort gone into that  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline denzil

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:01 PM »
 Quality that mate.

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07 PM »
Fantastic work Jon. That's brilliant!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ecko helmet custom paint job (1994 Hyper Racing Tribute Helmet).

gfxgfx
gfx gfx