gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Technical help please NOS or Repo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Technical help please NOS or Repo  (Read 1551 times)

Offline jim350i

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Technical help please NOS or Repo
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:35 PM »
People

"help" Can you tell if  Hutch bear traps  are NOS or Repos, if so how?

Also the same for MX Tech 3 levers

Thanks in advance (hate that expression)

Not as bad as

Warmest Regards  errrrrr, make you shudder

So just plain cheers, that's better  :)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Technical help please NOS or Repo
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Tech IIIs are easy. The nut and bolt that attach it to the handlebars are completely different. Obviously so. HOWEVER they can be changed to the older ones and passed of as old ones BUT the levers are not dated in the clasp as old ones are. There is a certain seller on the bay that states he bought a load of levers years sago in the US and none of them are dated.

Hutch pedals: It's all about the number of studs on the main body as far as I am aware. 4 = new 2 = old. I think. I'll see if I can find a pic.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:43 PM by That Swan Guy »
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:25 PM »

Also the MX logo on Tech 3 repops is not as nice stamping as the old ones. Almost looks blurred.  :daumenhoch:

Offline jim350i

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Thanks chaps. Sorts that out! 👍

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01 PM »

Also the MX logo on Tech 3 repops is not as nice stamping as the old ones. Almost looks blurred.  :daumenhoch:

Spot on  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Dr Skyway

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:15 PM »
There is a certain seller on the bay that states he bought a load of levers years sago in the US and none of them are dated.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking at those levers tempted to buy a few......the ones you're talking about are the Silver ones, bought from a trip to the states? Although have to say the packaging looks OG ...... :D
Is buying NOS a cure, or just a disease!

You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Tech 3 levers..........

Any clasp can be added to the lever to affectively give a date to it but, if you hold the lever up to the light, inside the body you will find JAPAN stamped on one side, the date on the other 0483, for example. As previously said, the lever arm stamping on the repops is atrocious :knuppel2:

Hutch Beartraps..........

On the body you will find on each cage fixing arm, two dimples on the JDB version, and only one dimple on the original Hutch. Yes, they can filed down and rechromed, at which point, you will be hard pressed to spot the difference. On the cages, the small hole to the left of the fixing bolt is at the bottom on the original cage when looking at it with the axle pointing left. There are so many JDB cages out there though, finding the real deal is hard and people tend not to sell the original's much.

I hope that helps buddy, in some way  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:46 PM »
There is a certain seller on the bay that states he bought a load of levers years sago in the US and none of them are dated.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking at those levers tempted to buy a few......the ones you're talking about are the Silver ones, bought from a trip to the states? Although have to say the packaging looks OG ...... :D

and the white ones!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 06:29 PM »

Any lever you buy off ebay ask the seller if there is a date on the clasp and on the inside of the lever. Together with a nice crisp MX stamp can't go wrong.  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Once you see an original tech 3 and a repop, there is a massive difference in my opinion. The originals seem to have the MX logo moulded as part of the design, so it's really crisp, where as the repops look as though they've been stamped and it's crushed part of the lever arm.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Technical help please NOS or Repo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx