gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Letters from Iwo Jima (well Yamato actually) a bmx odyssey ***pic heavy***
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Letters from Iwo Jima (well Yamato actually) a bmx odyssey ***pic heavy***  (Read 3866 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
As some of you will know, a couple of weeks ago i set off with my younger cousin to Japan to visit our kid Tachikoma and do a spot of riding  :)

Thoughts of old bike shops full of nos gear flashed accross my mind occasionally during the 15 hour flight but early reports from our kid had dampend those heady dreams to such a degree they left me wondering if bmx had little more than a tiny cult following in the land of the rising sun.

Within 20 mins of arriving thoughts of jet lag were cast aside as we set about getting our rides for the fortnight in some sort of shape for the mamoth task that awaited them. Mine was a united that had sat with flat tyres and a solid rusty chain for over a year through the blazing heat and rainy season and looked more than a bit sorry for itself.

I took an extra long seatpost, padded seat, 4 inner tubes, 2 chains, 2 sets of grips and a multi tool. Our kid already had a decent tool kit and before long we were off in the eveing light for an evenings jaunt along the river to give our new rides a shake down.

The plan was to ride to the Happy bike meet in tokyo a few days later (around a 32 mile round trip )
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182371.msg1830825/boardseen.html#new

Happy our rides were up to the task we settled in and spent a few days padding round some of the cool second hand shops called Hard off where you can find almost anything, usually at a fantastic price.

I found the guitar sections particularly interesting  :)

A tasty bit of vintage pedal action

And a nice chopper type thing

The morning of the bike meet we were up around 5 to discover a flat tyre on my bike. A quick check revealed a small puncture on the rim side. Repaired and rim checked for owt sharp we set off oblivious to the disaster that would befall us.
A mile or so in the same tyre let go and we thought it best to replace the inner tube with a new one in case the tube was defective. We rode on and soon after my front end dropped and squirmed around like goodun. Another pit stop revealed another duff inner tube.
Thoughts of my happy pound shop purchases now turned to dread and the phrase buy cheap buy twice looked like it wasnt even close  :-\
We decided they probably were not up to the higher presures of new school stuff so we went at around 30 psi and crossed our fingers.
Alot of good that did.... By the forth puncture we decided it would be wise to cut our losses and head home gutted, walking most of the way.  :(

A few days later and a few oddball inner tubes with weird valves procured we nervously set off for the beach. Being a 50 mile round trip and with bikes not allowed on trains, let alone never having ridden that far on any bmx, i wasnt that confident. The MANY drinks machines dotted around literally everywhere made the going much easier in the heat and we stopped for a pic at one of them.

We soon found ourselves amount the surfers with their beach cruisers.

And stumbled accross our first real taste of indigenous bmx  :daumenhoch:

coolest boat trailer ever  :LolLolLolLol:

The bogs at the beach made me feel a little homesick..... and mouthsick too  ;D

The ride home was interesting to say the least in the dark with nothing but our legally required little led lights to guide the way but we made it without a hickup from the bikes and our confidence in them was renewed.

A few days later we decided to go to downtown Tokyo to check out a shop called Wbase and the legendary Screaming Wheels. You may have seen a pic of Bob Haro doing an endo outside Wbase last year. I expected it to be a bit like Alans with a good selection of new school stuff, sadly it was full of mountain bike and fixie gear with the bmx stuff relegated to their website it would seem.

We did find a little back street shop doing skate boards and new school stuff

Screaming wheels was an all together different experience though  :daumenhoch:

The lad who runs it is a top bloke and clocked my b73 tees Zeronine t-shirt straight away. We got chatting and thankfully his English is miles better than my Japanese. Deffo a must if you ever find yourself in Japan. No real bargains to be had but he did have some tasty stuff. A set of Webco mags really caught my eye  8)

Not far from his shop we stumbled accross this, things were on the up for our bmx odyssey  :daumenhoch:

The next day we set off on another epic ride to a scrap yard our kid had stumbled on a while back. we called into a few Hard offs along the way and finally made it to find it shut  :(
I reckon on the right day it could be a gold mine. This was just the stuff outside.

Clocked a mag amongst the road stuff.

A quick pit stop for yet another vending machine drink  ;D

On the way back we found a true relic. A shop which looked like it closed 30 years ago and had never been touched. The roof had started to fall in but most of the stuff in there looks salvageable and still under its original wrapping  :shocked:

The little side building which could be accessed through a small hole in the wall had hundred of tyres and forks in it.

I could see the odd dia compe, shimano and suntour box which looked interesting. I reckon a good rummage amongst the road stuff would turn up more than a few gems  :daumenhoch:

My time in Japan was coming to an end. With around 125 miles covered on the bikes and around 70 on foot i felt i had seen a great deal yet hardly scratched the surface. It seemed It wasnt the gold at the end of the bmx rainbow that i hoped it may be but it also hinted that there was still gems to be unearthed. Could there be nos framesets, completes, parts just waiting to be found..... hopefully i will be closer to finding out the next time i go  ;)

Clint

Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Sounds like a nice little adventure you had there Clint... looking forward to part 2.   :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

Some tantalising pics there our Clinton  :4_17_5:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Good work Clint and some great pics there! Was that park near Enoshima (between Enoshima and Fujisawa)? Hard Off is great isn't it!! & I love that old bike shop you found - definitely worth a second look!!!!! :coolsmiley:

Shame you couldn't make it to the HBM but at least you went to Screaminwheels. W-Base's previous shop had quite a bit of old school stuff (mostly on display, not for sale) though I thought I saw some on the 2nd floor of the new shop. If you make it over again, I'll have to take you to Bonz Bros, which is more like Screaminwheels, and Rio BMX is also worth a look.

So overall, what did you think of Japan?

From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

rodriguez

Great stuff Clint  :daumenhoch:

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
Love it..  :4_17_5:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Superb stuff mate, looked like a great trip

Offline julianahatfield

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Wow!,great stuff there mate,even with the building looking like it was about to cave in,I still would have gladly risked my life having a trawl through that little lot!.Brilliant story. 8)
  Regards Nick.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
Thanks for posting .... I love trawling through stuff like that ... You never know  do you and that's the beauty of it all!
I hope to get to Japan one day .... Top stuff Clint!  :smiley6600:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Tel-boy75

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Looked a great trip, thanks for sharing.

50 miles on a BMX, that must have taken some doing!  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Some excellent photos, and a great story there Clint

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Excellent stuff!

What a shame you missed the Happy ride.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Very good read.  8) Thanks for posting.  :)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Good read that Clint, thank you  :coolsmiley:

Did this frame and fork end up back in Blighty  ???

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:30 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
What an a adventure

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Good read that Clint, thank you  :coolsmiley:

Did this frame and fork end up back in Blighty  ???

It didn't Terry, was just a nice ride I found locked up near the screaming wheels shop. Was a cracking colour scheme in the flesh  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Ace story  :daumenhoch:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Looks like you had a brill time chum & became an expert at puncture mending too  :LolLolLolLol:
Bet there's loads of stuff lurking in that lot, seems "freestyle" missed Japan though  :teef:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Great thread Clint , thanks for posting  :4_17_5:

So , is there clothes in the suit case coming home or bike parts  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline PHIL9HUF

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Sounded like a really ace adventure Clint thanks for sharing  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Cheers lads. Wasn't through want of trying but sadly the only piece of oldschool I brought home was a set of brake pads  :D
Could have spent a small fortune in screaming wheels though  :-X

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
That's awesome, I could spend all day in places like those!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Dr Skyway

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Awesome thread........loving that old bike shop!
Is buying NOS a cure, or just a disease!

You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave

Offline Tachikoma

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Good work Clint and some great pics there! Was that park near Enoshima (between Enoshima and Fujisawa)? Hard Off is great isn't it!! & I love that old bike shop you found - definitely worth a second look!!!!! :coolsmiley:
It's Kugenuma Seaside Park, just a short ride westwards down the beach from Enoshima!

Looks like you had a brill time chum & became an expert at puncture mending too  :LolLolLolLol:
Bet there's loads of stuff lurking in that lot, seems "freestyle" missed Japan though  :teef:
He somehow managed to break two pumps, too!  :knuppel2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Letters from Iwo Jima (well Yamato actually) a bmx odyssey ***pic heavy***

gfxgfx
gfx gfx