gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 05:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Too Much/Rare To Ride
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Too Much/Rare To Ride  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Rrpr GO!

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Too Much/Rare To Ride
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:29 PM »
When Do You Consider A Bike Or Its Parts Are Too Rare To Ride?...Or When A Build Has Become Too Expensive To Ride? Its Sort Of Sad That They Are No Longer Riders But On The Other Hand They Have Almost Become Works Of Art. A Preservation Of BMX History For Future Generations To Admire In Person Rather Than Just A Photo Of An Old Magazine Or Catalog.

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Too Much/Rare To Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:44 PM »
I say ride the f@@kers like its 1983 again!!!

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 08:46 PM »
I think all bikes can be rode including show bikes ,because the biggest majority of builds are "restored " riders already  :daumenhoch:

So they can be repainted and re decaled once again to be mint  :coolsmiley:

However I don't think riding a full on show bike  with the perishable components on is a good idea
This is where survivor parts or repro items Are a wise idea to be used and swapped  over
Riding with Rare or NOS Tyres ,Grips  or and sometimes seats  is unnecessary and pretty foolish
Even if you can afford to replace them ,your ruining one more original  :crazy2:
Any other part that is metal wheels stem bars posts calipers etc aren't in danger of ending up in the bin   :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:50 AM by hunterdubber »

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Couldn't have put it better myself!!!   :LolLolLolLol:  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:55 PM »
When Do You Consider A Bike Or Its Parts Are Too Rare To Ride?...Or When A Build Has Become Too Expensive To Ride? Its Sort Of Sad That They Are No Longer Riders But On The Other Hand They Have Almost Become Works Of Art. A Preservation Of BMX History For Future Generations To Admire In Person Rather Than Just A Photo Of An Old Magazine Or Catalog.

Capital Letter On Each Word, That Must Have Taken Ages!!!........... :LolLolLolLol:  :D  ;)

Offline Rusty 73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Should be ridden always in my opinion.Get them out on the streets where they should be.  No point being tucked away in someone's private collection for them to drizzle over    :D
The wife says most blokes buy a flash car or a fast motorbike when they turn 40 ...........

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I have ridden NOS tyres, pedals, seats, grips etc etc. Personally, I don't see the fuss about it all. Tyres I can understand, especially if rare or hard to come by but I find it hard to roll on new tyres as they didn't come from my era, if that makes sense  :-\

The trouble is, there are so many hoarders in the BMX scene that they stock pile it all, leaving just small amounts that get sold over and over again as people swap out parts. As you may have noticed, a lot of the real nice tidy mint and NOS stuff does not get sold on much anymore. This is due to rising prices of those parts because of demand, so people are holding on to them. This is turn raises the price when they do get sold but they move so quickly.

It's a never ending vicious circle that will not change until stuff gets released from hoarders vaults, so to speak.

BANNED

Offline Rusty 73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Well said mate   :daumenhoch:
The wife says most blokes buy a flash car or a fast motorbike when they turn 40 ...........

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23 PM »
I have ridden NOS tyres, pedals, seats, grips etc etc. Personally, I don't see the fuss about it all. Tyres I can understand, especially if rare or hard to come by but I find it hard to roll on new tyres as they didn't come from my era, if that makes sense  :-\

The trouble is, there are so many hoarders in the BMX scene that they stock pile it all, leaving just small amounts that get sold over and over again as people swap out parts. As you may have noticed, a lot of the real nice tidy mint and NOS stuff does not get sold on much anymore. This is due to rising prices of those parts because of demand, so people are holding on to them. This is turn raises the price when they do get sold but they move so quickly.

It's a never ending vicious circle that will not change until stuff gets released from hoarders vaults, so to speak.

What he said
Jono

griff

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I think all bikes can be rode including show bikes ,because the biggest majority of builds are "restored " riders already  :daumenhoch:

So they can be repainted and re decaled once again to be mint  :coolsmiley:

However I don't think riding a full on show bike  with the perishable components on is a good idea
This is where survivor parts or repro items NEED to be used and swapped  over
Riding with Rare or NOS Tyres ,Grips  or and sometimes seats  is unnecessary and pretty foolish
Even if you can afford to replace them ,your ruining one more original  :crazy2:
Any other part that is metal wheels stem bars posts calipers etc aren't in danger of ending up in the bin   :)

Wait till Radleigh Chris, I'll do a video of Carl skidding the ET the length of the Bowling Green car park  >:D

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 11:02 PM »
I'm confused. So some people build bikes just to look at ??? :shocked: :idiot2:

Someone's gonna have to run that past me again as I don't get it :2funny:  :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Think of it like this Spen.....

The MRD Badlander has the perfect length Top Tube, beautifully welded to the headtube which is set at just the right angle to the floor, making the fork glide on it's urning axis to a near perfect turning circle, all while the BB height from the floor allows the crank arm to be hung at the right height for short legs. The seat mast angle allows for a straight post, which can be set at the height, allowing for perfect positioning of the seat, for when short legs get tired and one can ride with ones bottom firmly perched. The rear triangle gives the perfect flex for allowing one to perform 180 and 360 degree turns off the floor with short legs. All in all....

Perfect Geometry for short or tall people  :smitten:

Then there's the Raleigh Burner  :crazy2:   :idiot2:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:22 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 11:22 PM »
I fookin love ya Terry :LolLolLolLol:

I simple struggle with the idea of building a bike and not riding it, just as you do mate  :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 11:27 PM »
I fookin love ya Terry :LolLolLolLol:

I simple struggle with the idea of building a bike and not riding it, just as you do mate  :daumenhoch:
I totally agree buddy  :daumenhoch:

I haven't ridden the Prostyler yet because I am loving the TA to be honest  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Every bike should be rode , that's why they're made ,  :smitten:
but the old tyres issue is valid because after all 30 year old rubber will not stand up to being ridden by 12 stone plus blokes at 40psi ,seen it happen the tyre wall just  gives up  :crazy2:

Id say main reason why you don't see as much NOS stuff now as 7 or 8 years ago is because it's no longer NOS and have since  had many owners and many who have used the parts on their bikes , pub riding , racing etc . Much more likely than a cult of hoarders keeping all the stuff from 2003 . I'd guess 90% of builders build bikes split and resell parts , than hoard forever
Although there are small minority of collectors who have stashes  :shocked:

Terry's quote  :4_17_5:
Then there's the Raleigh Burner   :LolLolLolLol:

I love Mk1s ,, but they're not for riding  :-\  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:48 AM by hunterdubber »

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Just to throw a curveball ... And it's not just about the money ... I love the design of many of the parts I've bought ... They are rare 30 year old parts and once they've been scratched, dented or scarred they are gone forever.. .. I've seen lovely rare parts many of which can never be restored ruined on rad rides by ignoramus members of the public ...
Some things are to be ridden .. Some things are be treasured ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:16 PM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

In2bmx

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24 PM »
I've nearly ridden all 28 bikes at least once ..  But obviously it's easier to just have a couple of riders.

But there are a couple like the 78 and 79 Robinson's i'll never ride !! Just because they are so rare and the parts that are on them.

Wait till Radleigh Chris, I'll do a video of Carl skidding the ET the length of the Bowling Green car park  >:D

This might just happen ..  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:58 PM by in2bmx »

griff

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 12:49 PM »
I've nearly ridden them all 28 bikes at least once ..  But obviously it's easier to just have a couple of riders.

But there are a couple like the 78 and 79 Robinson's i'll never ride !! Just because they are so rare and the parts that are on them.

although you might struggle with tech 2s
in which case I'll post a video of you slowing down very slightly in the car park :teef:

In2bmx

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08 PM »
I've nearly ridden them all 28 bikes at least once ..  But obviously it's easier to just have a couple of riders.

although you might struggle with tech 2s
in which case I'll post a video of you slowing down very slightly in the car park :teef:
Good point Griff , I rode it to the Bowling Green last Saturday  :) without using the brakes too , so not to mark the rims  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 06:06 PM »
I like riding my bikes.. But I have come to terms with the fact I look like a complete c@nt on it.
Griff loves BUM..

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 06:21 PM »
I'll be riding mine soon and the only thing that bothers me is my NOS suede Kashi MX seat because as soon as I sit my a#se on it and pedal with jeans it will be worn, My lads got a suede seat on his bmx and 2 weeks later it looks f##ked.
I do have the option to use a kashi MX of the same year that has no suede on it but if you want it to look good it's defeating the object, what's the point in saying i've got a sh#te seat on here and the mint ones at home ?

All I have now are spares for my current ride, when spares come up I sometimes buy them as they are getting harder to find or is it like when peeps  empty the shelves in supermarkets over Christmas like it's the end of the world when it's only 2 days like a weekend  ???
 thing is I now have enough spares to build another bike, just add a frame and forks and that's all the spares gone again, it's a vicious circle and knowing when to stop :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:53 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I'd like to ride em all, not having much time & getting fed up of the weird looks has put me off a bit.
trying sooooo hard to get my daughter riding so I can go out with her  :LolLolLolLol:
Little fooker seems more interested in Peppa fookin pig though, kids these days eh  "nono"
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 09:15 PM »
getting fed up of the weird looks has put me off a bit.

Who cares what others think bro, I don't, and I'm bald and fat  ;D  That's why I ride in headphones, can't hear or see what they saying etc  :daumenhoch:

It is funny though when you try a 360 in Kingston and end up on your ass with half the world looking at you  :crazy2: 
BANNED

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Hoarders....... I've only been back 2 years and have built and split 17 bikes and more or less sold the lot to others to help them finish builds.  I'm done with lego builds recycling the same old bits on different frames.  Hoarders generally have deep pockets and can afford to hang on to bits, i prefer to build, sell and go on holiday with the proceeds than stare at a pile of metal and plastic marveling at how  my seat / stem / tyres are worth £20 more than last week........ As for NOS...... Most of it should be labeled NOS (but fitted on 17 show bikes, but i kept the bag.......)
You always need a cheese option......

griff

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 11:16 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: at 'Lego builds'

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Too Much/Rare To Ride

gfxgfx
gfx gfx