gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 06:49 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Which trick got you into BMX?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which trick got you into BMX?  (Read 3109 times)

Trev

Which trick got you into BMX?
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:26 AM »

I saw Neil Ruffell do a no handed cherry picker in the Kelloggs in 85.   :Great_Britain:  That was the coolest thing I had ever seen done on a bike. After seeing that, my dream was to pull that trick.

Everyone must have seen "a trick" which first caught their attention and ultimately got them into BMX.  What was yours?

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: Which trick got you into BMX?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:07 AM »
we were jumping our 24" racers with cow horns off the banks at the local park and bending the forks. My dad had to take the derailer off mine cos it kept jamming in the back wheel every time i jumped. BMX was just a natural progression cos they were built for jumping.  :daumenhoch:

So dirt jumps was, and is, my thing :)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 05:44 AM »
after seeing mike dominguez doing his lookbacks,it was the trick i first wanted to pull out of a quarter pipe and i still love doing them 25yrs later.

priv

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:56 AM »
saw andy preston doing a rollback 540 on saturday superstore (the section where he was in a sports hall, riding to a real old dire straits track)

that was summer 83

i went out and tried to do rollbacks on my "puch arrow" - 18" wheeled shopper style bike

however prior to that, wheelie contests in the street were commonplace. racers with the bars turned upwards, or with cowhorns on usually taking the prize.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:29 AM »
EVIL KNIEVEL doin his thang got me jumpin every bike i had way before i got into bmx

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:56 AM »
I lived in the next road to andy ruffell and I was in the same class as him at school,and I worked in the bike shop where the first mongooses were sold in our area,
Andy was a big inspiration, as was pete middleton, kav strutt, nikky mathews etc.
I think there was so much talent where I lived you either got good or did something else,
to stand out in walthamstow at that time you had to be truly awesome on a bmx.
Great times........
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:03 PM »
I lived in the next road to andy ruffell and I was in the same class as him at school,and I worked in the bike shop where the first mongooses were sold in our area,
Andy was a big inspiration, as was pete middleton, kav strutt, nikky mathews etc.
I think there was so much talent where I lived you either got good or did something else,
to stand out in walthamstow at that time you had to be truly awesome on a bmx.
Great times........

Lived 100 yards from the boy Craig Campbell, had plenty of bruises tryin to copy the trick he made look easy ! This was pre-Skyway, Prolite days, when he had a Haro Gen 1,....me, I had some heavy steel job, before I got my 600a ! hmmmm....
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 01:02 PM »
I saw some local kid do a rockwalk, I thought it was the most amazing thing I've seen.
I was so pleased with myself when I eventually got them wired.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 11:31 PM »
Skating at Harrow and watching Andy Ruffell and Cav Strutt ripping it up.  Probably the trick that got me was Cav pulling the biggest, most flat table top out of the old peanut bowl, must have been 6 to 8 ft high and thinking I gotta try that!  Man they were so rad I remember their moves like I was watching them yesterday  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Flaz

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 11:50 PM »
watching some geeza near me jumping about 30/40 ft on a suzuki pe 175  :shocked:  then bmx came over here and I was  hooked,

bunny hops amazed me, the fact that you could jump without a ramp  :idiot2: at time it blew me away  ;D

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 11:51 PM »
Same as Bob Acid for me, we used to go dirt jumping and then did a sort of time trial around a course we`d make up through the woods, then try and put the bikes back together  :(

Then out came the bmx and in 1979 I had a bike that would take the pounding, and on it went  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:06 PM by billstup »
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

mike pardon

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Seeing Tinker Juarez air out of a pool on magpie . Then seeing Cav Strutt do a 360 at belle vue my first race meet. I thought he was God..

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Then seeing Cav Strutt do a 360 at belle vue my first race meet. I thought he was God..

I think there are a few of us on here that would agree with that, he was awesome with so much style and a really nice bloke to boot  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

DR VINOAH

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 01:21 PM »
im with bob and billy

also i whole heartedly agree with mike and marty

cav strutt true OS UK bmx legend :4_17_5:

trill

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 04:47 PM »
i think it was a dag dropping, yer a dag dropping.

Trev

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 05:02 PM »

you mean a Daj Drop In....   :2funny:

spesh

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 06:31 PM »
yeah bunny hops for me as already said doing jumps up kerbs without ramps

jeff spicoli

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Yeah Pike Cav was awesome but it was Tinker and jeff Watson for me . That old skatepark stuff was unreal.

sean

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 08:41 PM »
All the one's those 2 lad's on saturday morning TV did.....
What were their names

Pike mardon and Andy Preston

The one that rode yellow the Quadangle ( I think) came and judged a freesyle comp at our school

Que Herbie Hancock....rocket ;)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 09:19 PM »
My first bike sat in my garage for a year (1981) before i ever rode it..... still riding motorbikes then and not really feeling the bmx thing at all. My friend took me to Rom - he had been riding for a while on a BMXed Grifter and was bang into it. It was ok, I enjoyed it, jumping and stuff but still.... well...y'know it was ok i s'pose....

Then I saw some video footage of Bob Haro.  Bloody hell.  The two standout things for me were coaster wheelies and fakies. To be accurate, on this video he 180ed down a small set of stairs and fakied away. Blew my mind.

So we found out what these freaky back pedal brakes were all about, I bought a Gen 1 as soon as they came out and banged a set of coaster tuffs on it and I was away.  :)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 09:27 PM »
I aways remember you having a chrome redline Rob, or have I got it all wrong again  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

mike pardon

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Yes i almost forgot Bob Haro doing REAL coaster wheelies,, now that fella has some style

sadowdgit

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 09:42 PM »
jumps n wheelies  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 10:33 PM »
I aways remember you having a chrome redline Rob, or have I got it all wrong again  :idiot2:

Nearly Bill,  I had a black redline starting out, with all gold and yellow components which i slowly switched out to black.  then got the gen 1 and just swapped all the bits over.  Did the same thing again when I got on Ammaco with Glyn.

I don't remember the components too well.... Duncan remembers absolutely everything   :shocked:

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 10:51 PM »
I was doing stunts on my boxer then grifter, (i wanted to be a stuntman as a kid! jumping off it, riding into bushes, and jumping), got a bmx after the grifter as it was an upgrade for the battered grifter.

Bmx then really took off and i was known as the Bmx kid at school, i even won a slow bike race by hoping :LolLolLolLol:

Was still known as the Bmx kid at six form years later and mine was the only Bmx in the bike sheds :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Which trick got you into BMX?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx