gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 03:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  First Build - Period Part Selection Help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: First Build - Period Part Selection Help  (Read 7793 times)

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
First Build - Period Part Selection Help
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I've not been on this site long and was happy with my mid school GT Dyno Compe and had no intention of building a bike myself .......BUT....... I've always wanted an old school BMX, and the people and information on this forum have sucked me in and I have now gone and bought an Aero Reflex F&F to start my first (only :chin:) build with.

Once built the bike is going to be ridden on ride outs, weekends & holidays away etc, and due to my 'anal' tendencies and lack of storage space I specifically went for a second hand frame set (all be it very tidy) rather than one of the few NOS versions currently for sale, as I know I would then only be happy building it up with NOS parts and just displaying it in the house rather than riding and enjoying it as I intended.

My original intention was for a rather swift build for MK15, but a recent change in financial circumstances means this is no longer going to happen, especially as I am starting this build from scratch with diddly squat parts to work from, but at least I now have more time to source the parts I need, which after a very long introduction is the reason I started this post.

I've looked at a lot of peoples impressive build threads, but what I need is for everyone to help me with what period parts will be right for the build. As I never had a BMX back in the day, I have no preference to brands, my choices will be purely down to what I think is aesthetically pleasing to me and what I think suits the direction the build will take, but I have absolutely no idea what would be period correct parts.

The only starting point I have is I would like a pair of CW Pro handlebars and a lay-back seat post on it, as I always liked the look of them, but as for everything else?????

Soooo, if you could all let me know your thoughts on:

Handlebar grips
Brake levers
Handlebars (incase someone comes up with a pair I've not seen before and take a fancy to)
Handlebar stem
headset
Brake calipers
Wheels (spokes and mags)
Hubs (if spoked wheels)
Rims (if spoked wheels)
Tyres
Seats
Seat post
Seat post clamp
Crank
Pedals
Chain ring
Chain
Sprocket
And anything else I may have missed off, but will be required.

I would be looking for good condition parts and maybe the 'odd NOS parts' as I do want the bike to look clean & tidy.

I would also appreciate what sizes of items would be required, pedal thread size, seat post diameter etc etc

If you managed to get through this post without falling asleep, thank you very much for reading and I look forward to all your suggestions.

Cheers
Ryan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:26 PM by T4Ryan »
You won't find me on Facebook or Twitter!!!

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: First Build - Period Part Selection Help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Ryan mate, my preference would be, especially if on a budget:

Handlebar grips - A'me's or ODI Mushies
Brake levers - DC Tech 3
Handlebars (incase someone comes up with a pair I've not seen before and take a fancy to)
Handlebar stem - SR
headset - Tange or Tioga
Brake calipers - DC MX1000 copies
Wheels (spokes and mags) - Tuffs
Hubs (if spoked wheels)
Rims (if spoked wheels)
Tyres - Kenda K55
Seats - Kashimax Aero
Seat post - Chrome generic layback
Seat post clamp - DC hinged
Crank - Sugino 1 piece
Pedals - Shimano SX
Chain ring - Sugino
Chain - KMC
Sprocket

Most of these bits you can buy as repop, if you really want to keep the cost down.

It all depends on your colour scheme as some bits are harder to get in some colours.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Hi Dan
Thanks for all those options mate, I appreciate it.
I'll start looking them up  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Hi mate, I'm currently building a budget aero reflex custom for my girlfriend so we are in a similar position. Dans choices are excellent but if you search ebay you can also find some very cheap non branded genetic 80s parts ( they are still out there ) if your budget is tight tight tight!  :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Tagaki cranks and spiders are also slightly cheaper but are  spot  on branded authentic 80s parts :coolsmiley:

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Hi Ant
Cheers for the ideas.
Are you going to post a build thread for your girlfriends Aero?
I'll start one up on mine  when I've got some parts  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Ry, this is mine currently. It's been shelved for now, but it has a lot of cheap parts, grips, seat clamp, headset, crank etc.

The Dyno was built on a very tight budget also - less than £500, I know it's not an AR, but posted it to give you the idea, you don't need to spend loads to get a nice bike.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Jaypeg

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06 PM »
I would keep my eye on the sales posts on here as there are bargains to be had....

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Yep, I was just about to say watch the for sale section :daumenhoch:

Where are you based as a few of us would most likely give you a few parts if you came and got them :2funny:

You can also keep your budget tight if you take on a bit of resto or better still keep your eye on ebay or gumtree for a £20 donor bike with a crap frame & forks you can strip, clean up nut and bolt at a time and use most of to get you rolling :coolsmiley: Re-cycle the bits you don't need on gumtree or freecycle to get rid. For instance your local bike shop will sell you brand new bearings in cages for headaets or bottom brackets for a quid a go and you can salvage any headset and bb off the donor bike.

Aa Dan said, decide on your colour scheme and get it built with anything so you can ride it and enjoy it. Then change out the parts as funds allow, or better still come to MK and hunt a few bargains :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:22 PM »
It will come down to a few factors bro. Firstly, if you are going to be truly anal about building it era correct, it will cost you. Secondly, what look do you want to give it? A certain colour scheme or 'rat' look? Thirdly, parts availability. Most people tend to be holding onto the goods parts, or just hoarding them, for there own reasons so, you can pick fairly low budget items but, if you are going to ride it properly, you will need some of the top market brands.

Personally, if you are going to ride it a lot, cut off those foot standers. They WILL get in the way, trust me  :)
BANNED

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Ry, this is mine currently. It's been shelved for now, but it has a lot of cheap parts, grips, seat clamp, headset, crank etc.

The Dyno was built on a very tight budget also - less than £500, I know it's not an AR, but posted it to give you the idea, you don't need to spend loads to get a nice bike.

Those bikes look mint Dan.
I read your build thread on the Aero which was great and that Dyno looks amazing for the money spent.
Lots of inspiration there  :daumenhoch:

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I would keep my eye on the sales posts on here as there are bargains to be had....

Definitely, I've just missed out on 2 pairs of bargain CW Pro handlebars in the past couple of weeks  :'(

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Yep, I was just about to say watch the for sale section :daumenhoch:

Where are you based as a few of us would most likely give you a few parts if you came and got them :2funny:

You can also keep your budget tight if you take on a bit of resto or better still keep your eye on ebay or gumtree for a £20 donor bike with a crap frame & forks you can strip, clean up nut and bolt at a time and use most of to get you rolling :coolsmiley: Re-cycle the bits you don't need on gumtree or freecycle to get rid. For instance your local bike shop will sell you brand new bearings in cages for headaets or bottom brackets for a quid a go and you can salvage any headset and bb off the donor bike.

Aa Dan said, decide on your colour scheme and get it built with anything so you can ride it and enjoy it. Then change out the parts as funds allow, or better still come to MK and hunt a few bargains :daumenhoch:

Good idea on a donor bike.
I didn't want to strip my Dyno as then I wouldn't have anything to ride, but I might keep my eye out for an appropriate donor  if I need to speed up the build a little.
Great tip regarding bearings by the way :daumenhoch:
I'll deffo be part hunting at MK aswell

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24 PM »
It will come down to a few factors bro. Firstly, if you are going to be truly anal about building it era correct, it will cost you. Secondly, what look do you want to give it? A certain colour scheme or 'rat' look? Thirdly, parts availability. Most people tend to be holding onto the goods parts, or just hoarding them, for there own reasons so, you can pick fairly low budget items but, if you are going to ride it properly, you will need some of the top market brands.

Personally, if you are going to ride it a lot, cut off those foot standers. They WILL get in the way, trust me  :)

Still pondering over the colour scheme, I was originally going to stick to chrome and black, but some of the colour builds on here are certainly food for thought.

I was wondering about cutting off the foot standers, that may be my first job on the build.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Blue MX1000's and blue Tech 3 levers will be the hardest things to get if you want the genuine old school ones, so maybe opt for another colour. They do the repop versions of them but they are really tacky, and I think you would be doing yourself an injustice with them. It depends on your budget.

The Reflex was released in 1984 if you want to go down the era correct route. Anything from 1983 to 1985 would suit it perfectly  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08 PM »
Blue MX1000's and blue Tech 3 levers will be the hardest things to get if you want the genuine old school ones, so maybe opt for another colour. They do the repop versions of them but they are really tacky, and I think you would be doing yourself an injustice with them. It depends on your budget.

The Reflex was released in 1984 if you want to go down the era correct route. Anything from 1983 to 1985 would suit it perfectly  :daumenhoch:

Anodised blue must be everyone's favourite colour then, me included  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 08:37 AM »
If you long for blue mx 1000 then get them mate ...YOLO and all that .. Simply save and take an extra few months to make your build.
I'll post up my own aero later today ... It also started asa budget build build but ended up being lovely Nosness throughout with only a couple of re-pop parts.
I'll also start a thread for my girlfriends build too ( this build will look 80s but will be on a tighter budget than I've ever done before )

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 09:10 AM »
If you long for blue mx 1000 then get them mate ...YOLO and all that .. Simply save and take an extra few months to make your build.
I'll post up my own aero later today ... It also started asa budget build build but ended up being lovely Nosness throughout with only a couple of re-pop parts.
I'll also start a thread for my girlfriends build too ( this build will look 80s but will be on a tighter budget than I've ever done before )

Cheers Buddy, I'll look forward to seeing it  :)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 12:25 PM »
I love this build ... Proof you should always take your time and buy those parts that excite you ! I always loved white bikes so that's my rationale on this build mate!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:27 PM by factory pilot »

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Fairly easy to pull off on a tight budget...

Here's my Dyno that was done for £387 total. (I kept a spreadsheet as I was selling stuff from a different hobby to fund this, once the balance has been totted up it ends up with a £51 cost although I've still a few bits to sell.)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,180205.0.html

Helps if you prefer a ratty look though.
Gertcha!

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I love this build ... Proof you should always take your time and buy those parts that excite you ! I always loved white bikes so that's my rationale on this build mate!

That's a really nice looking bike mate, the black & white works well  :daumenhoch:

I always wanted a chrome bike so am going to stick with that, but I can see now how easy it would be start another build in a colour once this ones complete.

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Fairly easy to pull off on a tight budget...

Here's my Dyno that was done for £387 total. (I kept a spreadsheet as I was selling stuff from a different hobby to fund this, once the balance has been totted up it ends up with a £51 cost although I've still a few bits to sell.)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,180205.0.html

Helps if you prefer a ratty look though.

Great build, and at that total cost is amazing.
It's funny because I was thinking this morning about selling some stuff from other hobbies I've not used for a while.

Offline Andy1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Great bikes the aero reflex.My first build was a reflex and as said above used cheaper parts on it like repop ame grips,Acorn mags instead of skyways,victor pedals instead of shimano,lee chi mx brakes instead of dia compe,etc.I wouldnt cut the standers off though.It will rust where you have cut them off and you will struggle to sell the frame if you decide to later on.I caught my foot on them the first time I had a ride on it but you get used to moving your heel out a bit when riding and Ive not caught them since(size 11 shoes).

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Great bikes the aero reflex.My first build was a reflex and as said above used cheaper parts on it like repop ame grips,Acorn mags instead of skyways,victor pedals instead of shimano,lee chi mx brakes instead of dia compe,etc.I wouldnt cut the standers off though.It will rust where you have cut them off and you will struggle to sell the frame if you decide to later on.I caught my foot on them the first time I had a ride on it but you get used to moving your heel out a bit when riding and Ive not caught them since(size 11 shoes).

Hi Andy
That's a nice looking bike mate, all these Aero builds really seem to look good even though each ones colour scheme is finished differently.
I think I may build it now before looking at taking off the footsatands, because as you say, it probably will affect the resale value, even though I'm not looking to sell it once finished, you never now what happens in the future.

rodriguez

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 01:18 PM »
If you can pick up a Rooster Big Daddy local, rob the skyways and stick a set of cheap wheels on it if you've any lying about and sell it on, cheap or free skyways.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  First Build - Period Part Selection Help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx