gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powdering on chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Powdering on chrome  (Read 1718 times)

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Powdering on chrome
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Probably been asked a hundred times but can you successfully powdercoat straight onto a chrome frame forks or does  the chrome have to be stripped first?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Powdering on chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I had a GT Pro last year, the chrome was ok, but peeling in places. I spoke to SBD and he told me that he could powder over the chrome, but as it was peeling, there was a chance that this may continue, and peel off the powder, so he recommended that I strip the chrome, which I did.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:34 PM »
I had a GT Pro last year, the chrome was ok, but peeling in places. I spoke to SBD and he told me that he could powder over the chrome, but as it was peeling, there was a chance that this may continue, and peel off the powder, so he recommended that I strip the chrome, which I did.  :daumenhoch:

Thanks mate

What sort of price you get for de chroming?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:41 PM »

Thanks mate

I sent it to Niphos in Crewe, the did it for £60, then Dan did the absolute business on it.

I was a bit unsure about paying that much to strip it, but Dan reassured me by telling me that's what sort of price the guy he used to use charged.  :daumenhoch:

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:44 PM »

Thanks mate

I sent it to Niphos in Crewe, the did it for £60, then Dan did the absolute business on it.

I was a bit unsure about paying that much to strip it, but Dan reassured me by telling me that's what sort of price the guy he used to use charged.  :daumenhoch:

£60 isn't bad ive been quoted over £100 locally.

Do you know if Dan would accept and use his contact?

Just didn't really want to send to some to get stripped then back to me then onto dan.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:46 PM »

Thanks mate

£60 isn't bad ive been quoted over £100 locally.

Do you know if Dan would accept and use his contact?

Just didn't really want to send to some to get stripped then back to me then onto dan.

Dan didn't use the guy anymore, or the guy didn't do stripping anymore, so I just used a firm close(ish) to me.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I would like to know too please guys, as I want to chrome a frame and get it powdered over the front, leaving the rear triangle chrome  ???
BANNED

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:25 PM »
You can powder straight over chrome no worries, i've done it a couple of times.  However, if you don't key the chrome the powder will come off pretty easy.
I didn't key the chrome on this because it had the original chrome and was in great condition so i wanted the option of stripping and going back to that if i wanted.  http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/hutch/53481

I can imagine the chrome needs to be in good condition though .. as already said, if its flaking it will prob need to be stripped off.

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Found local company near me in poole dorset that will strip for £35  ;)

Going to take frame forks and parts in next week to see how much they would do to strip and potentially re chrome..  :coolsmiley:

Will keep thread updated and if good price get some smaller sample bits chromed and see what they turn out like

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:13 PM »
£35 = bargain.  :shocked:  :daumenhoch:

Found local company near me in poole dorset that will strip for £35  ;)

Going to take frame forks and parts in next week to see how much they would do to strip and potentially re chrome..  :coolsmiley:

Will keep thread updated and if good price get some smaller sample bits chromed and see what they turn out like

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 08:14 PM »

Do you have any before pic's.  :daumenhoch:

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Once I receive the frame forks and parts I will take some pictures then after pictures depending on whether I just get it stripped or stripped and rechromed..  :)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27 PM »
 :coolsmiley:

Once I receive the frame forks and parts I will take some pictures then after pictures depending on whether I just get it stripped or stripped and rechromed..  :)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41 PM »
You can powder straight over chrome no worries, i've done it a couple of times.  However, if you don't key the chrome the powder will come off pretty easy.
I didn't key the chrome on this because it had the original chrome and was in great condition so i wanted the option of stripping and going back to that if i wanted. 
Tel, did Dan do that buddy? I would want he chrome to be mint underneath myself, to be honest, as the frame and fork is raw at present and would need chroming first. I wouldn't want to pay for that, then score it all before powder  :crazy2:
BANNED

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 11:35 PM »
Powder straight over nice chrome without a key is no bother. Problem comes when you wanna get it off !!!!!
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powdering on chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx