gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headsets for Haro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headsets for Haro  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Rusty 73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Headsets for Haro
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Help needed please. Wanna change headset on my 85 Haro Master. Current one which I didn't fit don't look right and moves about even though I've tightened it up to the extent the steerings stiff. Any recommendations on a new one and to any Haro owners, which size do I need. Will I ave problems getting the old bearing cups out and does the new one need to be tightened as much as possible so there's no movement ?  First time fitting a headset so lacking knowledge on this subject !!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:18 PM by Rusty 73 »
The wife says most blokes buy a flash car or a fast motorbike when they turn 40 ...........

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Headsets for Haro
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:20 PM »
what he said -

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15 PM »
When removing the old cups, take a long screwdriver with a metal cap on the head (for use of hitting with a hammer), and from inside the head tube, knock them out that way. You will not risk hitting the headtube from the outside then.

A Tioga Beartrap II headset is fine, as is a Tioga MX-2, buddy  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:19 PM »
All the Haro's I've ever had have a bit of stem flex/wobble. The stem shaft is a smidgen smaller in diameter than the fork steerer tube, so even when the stem and headset are tight, there's a tiny bit of back and forth movement. Can be resolved with a beer can shim. What stem have you got? I'm referring to group 1 stems...

Offline Rusty 73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Cheers lads for the help  :bow:  Was looking at Beartrap ll for a replacement. But what the hell is a beer can shim ? I've got a GT Freestyle stem fitted, couldn't get hold of a group 1, didn't wanna pay stupid prices.
The wife says most blokes buy a flash car or a fast motorbike when they turn 40 ...........

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Cut up a beer can/coke can/monster energy/root beer etc and use a strip of it around the stem shaft. It will make a tighter fit between the stem shaft and the fork steerer tube. I have a few can shims on my bikes. I use them around my seatpost to give a snugger fit in the seat tube. This is because i have a few of the new Hutch seatclamps that don't tighten very well.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Just be really careful though as they can slice through fingers real easy!   :(   :'(

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:19 PM »
take out your old cups with an old seatpost . i dont know how terry wins botm by working on his bikes with screwdrivers .  :D

Offline Rusty 73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Cheers for the help. Anyone know if a Odyssey Dynatron or a Mori Epoch headset will fit ?

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Before going through the hassle of removing cups. Are the bearings in the right way?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 10:17 PM »

Some stock Haro's came with a YST.  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32 PM »
Post up a pic :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33 AM »
don't touch a Dynatron headset as they're pants and not really of the same time era of the Haro.  Just go with a Beartrap II and it'll be spot on, and they're about £25  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:20 AM »
don't touch a Dynatron headset as they're pants and not really of the same time era of the Haro.  Just go with a Beartrap II and it'll be spot on, and they're about £25  :daumenhoch:
was just about to say the same myself  :daumenhoch:

Offline Rusty 73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Just stripped down the headset and removed the old bearing cups with no drama. Ordered my new Beartrap, thanks for all the help.

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 12:14 AM »
As far as i know, it's to minimise dust and dirt getting into the bottom part of the headset. Mainly used by those into bmx racing i would have thought. I'm not keen on the look of them as they stick out too much and ruin the line of the forks and head tube. Only my opinion - lots of people like them. I don't race, and only tend to use my bikes in the dry, so dirt and dust in the bearings aren't a problem

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 08:50 PM »
As far as i know, it's to minimise dust and dirt getting into the bottom part of the headset.
They were indeed, Andy, to stop dirt and dust getting into the lower bearing as it is not sealed. Also known as 'slashers', as they stick out from the cup and landing on them wrong when you come off will indeed end up in you being sliced.

A lot of people used to use part of an innertube over the bottom cup. That was definately waterproof too  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline oldskoolbmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 11:55 AM »
I am no expert but I think alot of Haro's used Hatta headsets?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headsets for Haro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx