gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 04:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Supplemental questions on headset locks:- what do you use and why?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Supplemental questions on headset locks:- what do you use and why?  (Read 619 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
There were lots of "Me" answers (including me!) to the original thread [ http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182025.0.html ], but I'd be interested to know what those of you who use headset locks use, and why? I used to run a Suntour headset lock on my Trident and now have one on my Laserlite and there's play in both headsets. Shame they look so good otherwise I would ditch them for something better! That said, I'm thinking of trying a Tange locknut on the Kuwi so would be interested in any feedback on those in particular.

Thanks in advance!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
you'll get play with a looseball headset anyway,i prefer the suntour to
the tange though.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
My fav is the Hutch 2n1 a rock solid performer, Suntour one is good, the Tange is good and I have a couple of UK made 2n1s from JJ that are as good as the Hutch ones. They look good and they function as intended.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:35 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
I use Hutch 2-1. Just works, no play, and with a good headset things are super smooth.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline bigger than jesus

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
DK made a nice one, you never see those on bikes now. If i remember there were different heights to them size wise.

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I want to try a Mori Epoch one (if anyone has a cheap spare) with the spiral coil inside, any experience of those by radsters?
Gertcha!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Tioga task force are the best, use em with a bear trap and you are winning....
but if you ride hard enough for it to be an issue, get a slightly more modern bike with a headset system that doesn't need a modification for it to work correctly.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the older stuff, which perhaps explains my current level of fitness and riding ability! :D

Those Hutch locks don't often come up for sale and when they do, cost a flippin' fortune, so maybe I'll just stick with the ol' Suntours and keep tightening them up!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
The Tange is by far the better if you have to choose between it and a Suntour. I have never like the idea of having to tighten two grub screws into the fork thread to stop a headset from coming undone.

As said already, whatever looseball headset you use, it will come loose as the grease dissipates and the bearings wear, especially if just using the standard head nut.

I use Tange, DK, and have recently put a Hutch 2 in 1 on the TA. I haven't ridden it yet though to test it out  :-[
BANNED

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Beartrap for riders ,no need for separate lock, show bikes, don't matter.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
adjust the headset correctly and there is no need for a headlock  ;)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Got a Tange on 3 of my riders and never had any issues . It's like the Ronseal of headlocks  :D

I have some of the others mentioned but have never used them on riders .
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
adjust the headset correctly and there is no need for a headlock  ;)

True that man but they do look good; style over substance!  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Supplemental questions on headset locks:- what do you use and why?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx