gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Questions about your Old School builds
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Questions about your Old School builds  (Read 1613 times)

Offline OldGooseGuy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Questions about your Old School builds
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Just flicking through the me & my bikes threads and the museum, it just amazes me seeing the builds you guys create, especially the ones built up from NOS parts - some truly phenomenal effort and attention to detail that you guys put in.

Can I ask
1. Where do you source the parts from? Do you keep your builds intact once finished, or reuse parts on the next build?
2. How long does it normally take you get all the parts together? Are we talking Weeks, Months or Years?
3. How much do you guys spend on these builds? They don't look cheap, in fact most look way out of my price range!

I'd love to have just 1 bike that was in the same league as most of yours.
Maybe one day...

WANTED! 1981 / 1982 Mongoose II or California Special F&F in chrome.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Questions about your Old School builds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:31 AM »
For me:

1) Radbmx (NOS and nice OG parts) and eBay/Porkchop/Alan's/Natsukasi (repop/NRP parts). And yes, if I break a bike, I will always reuse some bits that I will need for other future builds in the pipeline.

2) I can usually build a bike in 3 months. And the only way I can do this is by using NRP's, they suit my budget, and my method of building - I won't sit and wait for a rear DC cable with the correct date on it, and spend £25 on it when it eventually turns up, when I can get a cable from Alan's that does the same task for £3.29, delivered next day.

3) £800-£1000 inc frame and forks.

This is just my way, it's not the way everyone will do a build, and it's not the right way, or wrong way, but it works for me.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Check out the dates when some of these builds were posted. I think you'll find a lot of the bikes in the museum have been there for a few years now when NOS parts were easier to come by and a damn sight cheaper than what you're likely to pay nowadays.  :daumenhoch:
I think the golden years of cheap plentiful NOS parts has long gone and the current influx of newbies on the scene are picking up the pieces of what's left and parts become more difficult to find.  :-\
It's like any underground scene... the early years are always the best.   :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I put all of my parts in a pile and build the bike in the dark. It's different every time.

Clever searching on eBay can come up trumps, just look at Jono's 26" jump bike. Turned out to be an early CW TFM cruiser. And all for 35 notes!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:32 AM »
There are many many layers of the build process in BMX buddy.

Firstly, there is the builder that will only build with rare, hard to come by parts. This can lead to waiting for a long time for these parts to show unless you are willing to spend a month's pay on a single part to persuade the holder to let it go. When built, the bikes do look good but will have you just sitting it in a corner to look at now and again.

Secondly, there is the the builder who prefers era correctness throughout and will use good/used and NOS parts to build a bike with. Sometimes these parts are extremely hard to get and can take a few years to get together. Again, this will also leave you just putting the bike to one side afraid to use it due to the money you have spent.

Thirdly, there are the builders who just build a bike with good used parts but in the knowledge of putting it together to look era correct. Some NOS parts are fitted but the cost is lower to do. It can also take a while to build if you are searching for a particular patina to the parts. It's good though as it will be totally rideable to the builder without fear of it getting beaten around a bit.

Fourthly, there are the builders who build to a strict budget. This can be a good thing as you are not too particular with the parts used and the bike can be built rather quickly in building terms. It can also be readily ridden by the builder and the cost is what you have started out with.

For me, I like era correctness throughout but sometimes I will refuse to pay an extortionate amount for a single part so will either use a reproduction part or opt for something different. I like to ride all my bikes whether they have NOS parts fitted or not.

There are a vast amount of varieties in how people put their bikes together with some wanting only rare pieces throughout the build and others who build with the parts they actually used and remembered most as a child. Either way, unless you keep it under control, you will be ushered toward wanting more exotic pieces as you go along and telling the world "I like to build bikes that I never could afford as a kid".

As long as you build the bike for yourself and within a strict budget that you can keep control of, then that is what works for most of us  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline OldGooseGuy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Some great answers here, let's have some more!

Personally I've only ever built Mongooses (Mongeese?) because that was what I rode as a kid, and they were built to ride.
The last one I did was back in 2003 ish, NOS parts were easy to come by, probably easier than finding used parts! and not too expensive, Alans & Skatepool still had NOS parts on sale, and Biagio had loads of stuff on eBay (still at top dollar prices for the time though!) and it was easy to get stuff from the USA without getting shafted with import duties!

WANTED! 1981 / 1982 Mongoose II or California Special F&F in chrome.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Deffo go with whatever floats your own boat  :daumenhoch:

In answer though:

1. My own stash/here on Rad/eBay. Keep most of the stuff but take it apart due to space restrictions, and occasionally reuse parts on other builds if I get a better part for the existing bike.
2. Sometimes already got em, sometimes years.
3. Don't think I've ever spent more than £450. Unless you count my new school rider stuff then around £800.

"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Some builds take you years others months...
Some builds take a life of their own as various parts come avaliable ...
I think some of the older Radsters have amassed a  range of parts which they acquired in the "good times" of a few years ago when the land of NOS was plentiful and reasonable ....

I agree it's not a cheap or an easy hobby either... But that too is part of the fun... Do I go mad and treat myself ? Or do I keep to a budget ?

I share a lot of Dan's ethos ... But even a "cheaper" build with some RePop parts will set you back nearly a grand now so it's not a poor man's hobby.

I've got a real mix in my collection ....era correct, dated show ponies, homage builds/replicas, riders, even new school now.

To be honest they are all loved  in equal measure for different reasons.

I really love getting different of unique parts for each build now ... Things I always wanted and never had Bitd.. If they come up and I have the money at that time I snatch 'em up!
As for sourcing parts ... Sometimes it's down to your friends' to save the day ... You could be desperate and one of them comes up trumps  with that last item you need !  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:48 PM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Just flicking through the me & my bikes threads and the museum, it just amazes me seeing the builds you guys create, especially the ones built up from NOS parts - some truly phenomenal effort and attention to detail that you guys put in.

Can I ask
1. Where do you source the parts from? Do you keep your builds intact once finished, or reuse parts on the next build?
2. How long does it normally take you get all the parts together? Are we talking Weeks, Months or Years?
3. How much do you guys spend on these builds? They don't look cheap, in fact most look way out of my price range!

Maybe one day...

All the bikes actually belong to Snapper.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Ant, you haven't got any friends since your February BOTM vote!

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03 PM »

I like his hair.  :-\

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 04:08 PM »
I build one a year.

Then after i've built it i don't show anybody really.  :) They sit in my loft till MK comes around where some will come out to play then they sit in my loft again.

I use the best parts i can get, very rarely NOS though , most will have been restored over the year. Also a lot of my parts came when they were more affordable.

Nowadays........... :buck2: Glad i'm getting out of the game, you'd need a new bank loan to afford decent stuff.

Keep searching Ebay and use different words in your search listing as some stuff is placed to sell with spelling mistakes and such like.

Good luck with your search  :)
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 04:32 PM »
ebay and even gumtree are very hard to find bargains these days . the world n his f ing dog are on the case .  hawkers , skip divers, garage raiders and these retro generic vw show type people wanting bikes to drag around the silly show calender . its a mass thing now . i think the term hobby is out the window.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:35 PM by bobbbbsy »

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 04:58 PM »

I like to ride all my bikes

Including the Direct Links?

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Oh yes be mindful of the BOTM paradox ... Vote for one person's build and not another and you shalt forever be banished to the 'no friends on Rad" zone for eternity !!!! ::) :LolLolLolLol: :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:24 PM by factory pilot »

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Oh yes be mindful of the BOTM paradox ... Vote for one persons build and not another and you shalt forever be banished to "no friends on Rad" zone for eternity !!!! ::) :LolLolLolLol: :D

;D

;)

:-*

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I use a mix of original parts, both NOS, used and restored. I also use repro parts such as the new Hutch beartrap pedals, and new parts that fit old school such as generic bottom brackets, seat posts, clamps, stems. I like to build my bikes to as good a standard as I can, but they are all get ridden.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58 PM »
I used to bide my time and get the best used part at the lowest price, every bike I have built has taken as long as it takes to find the right part at the right price although I have never built anything stock I have never built a full bike from scratch in less than 18 months and my most expensive build inc F/F has been £275 and that was my GHP, patience  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 10:07 PM »

Can I ask

Maybe one day...

1. Build it, take photos, strip it - no good gathering dust in the corner if the garage.  Re use what i can, but try to avoid recycling the predictable parts.......

2. Weeks, months - how deeps your wallet? If you want to build it quickly you can if you throw money at it.

3.  Most people need a reality check - £1500 to £2500 any day.   Don't kid yourselves.......... NOS / mint build its a fairly normal cost.  Just because you have it sat on a shelf doesn't mean its free.....
You always need a cheese option......

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45 PM »

shuffle munsterer
Jono

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 11:42 PM »
Oh yes be mindful of the BOTM paradox ... Vote for one person's build and not another and you shalt forever be banished to the 'no friends on Rad" zone for eternity !!!! ::) :LolLolLolLol: :D
Wait till your next BOTM entry... you'll see who your friends are.  :LolLolLolLol:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 06:30 AM »
ebay and even gumtree are very hard to find bargains these days . the world n his f ing dog are on the case .  hawkers , skip divers, garage raiders and these retro generic vw show type people wanting bikes to drag around the silly show calender . its a mass thing now . i think the term hobby is out the window.
not sure if we've ever seen any of your bikes in ( me and my bikes) :LolLolLolLol:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Wait till your next BOTM entry... you'll see who your friends are.  :LolLolLolLol:

Oops this is getting really serious now  ::)

:2funny: :LolLolLolLol: :D

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 08:40 AM »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 08:55 AM »

>:D

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Questions about your Old School builds

gfxgfx
gfx gfx